is the standard brembo set up good enough for trackdays

Pedro555

ISDC Club Member
lads, i have 2006 blob eye sti which is daily driver (70 klms per day)with standard brembo set up, discs and pads, i intend on doing two trackdays per year aswell as every day driving including spirited driving- just wondering is standard set up good enough for this or will i warp standard discs- i have read all the previous threads concerning which pads, discs etc which was very helpful, do i upgrade or is there a need- can the standard brembo front discs handle a upgraded pad such as the ferrodo ds2500 pad which is what i would get and leave the rear standard- are the godspeed 6 piece grooved discs with kelvar pads any good, only 159 sterling for front discs and pads???thanks

yes absolutely good enough just change to decent pads and change the brake lines and fluid to a more track based set up ,iv done numerous trackdays and trips to the ring in my wrx on the standard 4pot calipers with just upgrades pads and discs with fluid and lines changed so the brambos will be well up to it .the secret is not to over use them and lads don't think of that when on track but its true

lovely dec, yeah was going to put in goodridge braided lines with dot 5.1 fluid and ferrodo ds2500 pads on the front and leave the rear standard, this should be ok i presume???, i was just worried that the upgraded pads could warp standard brembo disc, thanks for info , trying to have it ready for mondello on the 28th :changinggear:

that's what I was meaning by don't use the brakes too much the biggest mistake lads make on track is over braking you need to brake late and hard then off the brakes as quick as you can .it might sound fairly simple to do but if you are not confident in the brakes you tend to hover over the brake pedal and brake lightly and cause over heating this is what will cause warping !!!

110% the original brembos will be good enough for the track

Carbon Lorraine RC6 pads and Motul rbf660 fluid.

Just use the pads for the trackdays and swap out then after with normal set for the road.

[quote author=scoobysub link=topic=40620.msg464004#msg464004 date=1391286055]
great advice from dec there as he's one of he quickest lads on track :thumbsup:
[/quote]

absolutely great advice, never used the brembo set up on track before or a scooby for that matter so trying to get right balance for track/everyday use,

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=40620.msg464007#msg464007 date=1391286227]
110% the original brembos will be good enough for the track

Carbon Lorraine RC6 pads and Motul rbf660 fluid.

Just use the pads for the trackdays and swap out then after with normal set for the road.
[/quote]

lovely dave, thanks for info, might do that also

the ds2500 pads will be more that up for the track day and great for the road so will save you swapping them out if you want :thumbsup:

Decs advice is great on braking , I don't use them at all now lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote author=scoobysub link=topic=40620.msg464017#msg464017 date=1391287364]
the ds2500 pads will be more that up for the track day and great for the road so will save you swapping them out if you want :thumbsup:
[/quote]

thanks for the advice lads, for the moment going to go with ds2500 pads on front with standard discs, braided lines and race brake fluid and if i decide to do more track days will buy pads specifically for the track, thanks again :thumbsup:

I think you are perfect as is, if you go upgrading the pads beyond ds2500's, you'll be generating a lot more heat on the solid disks and could cause them to warp.

agreed rob, wont be putting anything more aggressive than ds2500 wit the standard discs :thumbsup:

I have that set up as above
2 track days on them and no faid and still using them on the road now

[quote author=keith dublin link=topic=40620.msg464051#msg464051 date=1391290808]
[/quote]

good to hear pads still good after two trackdays

[quote author=Pedro555 link=topic=40620.msg464055#msg464055 date=1391291240]
[quote author=keith dublin link=topic=40620.msg464051#msg464051 date=1391290808]
[/quote]

good to hear pads still good after two trackdays

[/quote]

He wasn't going fast !! Lol

As above I used my brembos,DS2500,Motul brake fluid and a set of Camskill cheap discs on track.
Don't use the brakes till the last second and never got any fade or issues.
Used them day to day driving too.

Only other thing to give you a nice firm pedal would be to fit a master cylinder stopper.

Anyone in ireland selling ds2500 pads, can get them in uk but would like to start buying locally if possible, cant find anyonein ireland on the auld interweb

Back