putting car on axle stands

rowanh

Sunday Drivers
Any ideas on how to jack up the car when you want to use axle stands and where to put them? I have read you should not jack up one side put a stand under something then jack up hte other as the jack can pull the car off the stand. Someone said to use the towing eye to jack up the front and the diff for the back but others said the towing eye is too near he front and will make the car bend and the diff mounts car be broken if you use it.

In terms of where to put the stands, on the front is the antiroll bar mounts a good place? That is what is in the pic below yea?

Im not really wanting to jack up the rear now but would be interested, i heard people talking about where the subframe joins the chasis but im not sure what the subframe is..

be careful with the car when doing this, a friend of mine is a mechanic was working on a car and the axle stand came away, lucky he didnt get hurt himself,
but the axle stand damaged the floor of the boot he had to straighten it. customer was angry! :thumbsup:

Yea i am a bit worries about it, worried about damaging the car and also worries about killing myself. Like if you put it somewhere that was not strong enoug hand while it was ok for 10 min then collapsed. Would not be the best..

Yeah as you said its dangerous jacking up one side and putting a stand under then jacking the other side.
Yhe jack will try to pull the car off the stand.
Happened jacking up my girlfriends Honda Civic while changing alternator.
Had a mate with me as i knew it could be dangerous and the jack pulled the stand off balance and we had to push the car back up straight.
Wouldn't have gotten away with it with the impreza's weight, only for the civic weighs as much as a bag of sugar did we get away with it.

I read a post on scoobynet about a car faling off stands and the lad working on it was killed trapped under it for a few hours, so take it handy and always put the wheels under it so if it comes down its not on you.

When using the stands, I always through a couple of blocks under the car in a strong enough area as well, just in case the stands or the support they're on let go.I would not be good for the car if it happened but it would save your ass.

It also stops me sh!tting myself when working under the car! :shock: I fookin hate it!

Saying this, I've been hangin out of the front of a civic trying to get the engine to sit right before and it never came off the stands, they seem pretty solid but you can never be too sure!

:subaru:

Back