When should an engine be rebuilt?

midlandbe5

Octane Boostaholics
ISDC Club Member
This has been bugging me for a while, my car needs new seals and gaskets as oil is starting to come out.
Should I just get a new gasket kit OR should I get new bearings and rings etc while engine is out?
There is about 130km on engine, no knocking or anything, it's an 02 legacy b4

it really depends on personal choice david in my opinion it is if its not broke don't fix it if its leaking a drop of oil fix the oil leaks and leave it alone .
on the other hand if its a keeper for you then it is a case of a stitch in time ,if you do it now while its good the cost would be considerably lower as its just a freshen up of bearings gaskets seals and oil pump

how much oil we talking about just a weep . as dec says unless your keeping it dont bother as the cost will just run and run and where do you stop just new bearings or pistons oil pump water pump crank rods gaskets .its where to stop is the thing david

Well I suppose maybe if we all had the spare cash we would all like to give our engines a freshen up, but Unfortunently it's not cheap so rather than fixing a few bits for a few quid you can throw a grand or more into a basic refresh.... Decisions decisions... Then there is the point of view like Dec, if it's not broken don't fix....

I dont think anyone can help or advise you here... Perhaps if you had a head gasket issue then it would be a no brainer IMO, or if you were using some oil maybe the decision would be easier

I sold my legacy nearly 3 years ago now with 170,000+ kms on the clock. Spoke to the owner about 2 months ago and its still going as good as ever. Mapped by Bob Rawle to peak at 1.5bar and steady to 1.2-1.3.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If they are well maintained, they'll go forever :thumbsup:

I think dave just fix any leaks on it change the water pump,thermostat and any seals needing changing then it will be grand drive her on and don't be worrying about it

@Robbie exactly that's the way I always looked at it with mine keep it serviced and drive it on

It's only a weep of oil so was thinking of just getting a seal kit for it, timing belt kit and oil pump.
Ideally would love to put new bearings in but funds don't allow at the min.
Where would be best to get new seals from?

Re: Re: When should an engine be rebuilt?

[quote author=midlandbe5 link=topic=40619.msg1#msg1 date=1391337416]
It's only a weep of oil so was thinking of just getting a seal kit for it, timing belt kit and oil pump.
Ideally would love to put new bearings in but funds don't allow at the min.
Where would be best to get new seals from?
[/quote]

Would have all there

Back