Buying a 99 legacy b4 today, advice needed.

johnoirl

Middle Lane Hogs
Finally gonna take the leap back into a legacy b4. :)
After a few years missing my old one. I've had Gti golfs and an r34 skyline. Still have and keeping the r34 :)

How ever, the car I'm buying is down a small bit on power. Lack of power after 4500/5000 rpm. The lad says the vacuum pipes where interfered with. Had this issue on my last b4 and fixed it. But I can't find the links for the vacuum diagram. Does anyone have it handy?

Also is it difficult to replace the front diff?
Cheers lads.

there be plenty of good ones out there i wouldnt be buying one with a problem if it was a simple fix why didnt seller sort it u have to ask yourself if u buy and take home and find u have a turbo issue or something as big you will wish you looked at a few more before buying this one,sorry cant help with a diagram but dont rush bring someone that knows there stuff check the car over and see can he resolve the issue if not leave it and look at good going ones id imagine there is good value to be had elsewere with one running perfect??

Jaz if it was a turbo problem that would be a nice easy fix ;)
Never minded buyin cars with some stuff wrong. I'm fairly handy with doing stuff on cars properly.

[quote author=johnoirl link=topic=40441.msg461510#msg461510 date=1390135993]
Jaz if it was a turbo problem that would be a nice easy fix ;)
Never minded buyin cars with some stuff wrong. I'm fairly handy with doing stuff on cars properly.
[/quote]

it your money i cant tell you how to spend it but there would need to be a fair difference in price to reflect defects than one running perfect sometimes a simple fix is not what it appears once home and cash handed over

Not sure yet man. Going to look at it this evening. He told me it was the centre diff. Got price of 100 notes for one.

how much to strip gearbox inspect fit diff and reassemble?wouldn't be my cup of tea so now its a gearbox problem and boost issue id deffo be walking and looking a mint one for 1500-2k

[quote author=johnoirl link=topic=40441.msg461577#msg461577 date=1390153386]
Not sure yet man. Going to look at it this evening. He told me it was the centre diff. Got price of 100 notes for one.
[/quote]

I would also walk away

I wouldnt walk away.....id RUN away seriously theres good ones out there looking for a home first rule when looking at cars look at many (and drive em this way ull know what a good one feels like) before buying second rule listen to the lads above.
Best of luck

Some lads would tell you it's only a vaccum line issue and it's only a centre diff issue. I'm sure you'll find more.

Centre diff issues are common as muck on the early b4, more economical to replace the box and diff with an sti 5 speed box and rear diff.

Well. I went and had a look anyway. Turned out to be a slit in the plastic pipe on the 2nd turbo. So I'm happy with that. Easy fix. Have a gearbox sorted for 200 notes. Know the lad selling it. Car is mint other than that :) happy with the buy!!
It's also had timing belt done a short while ago, serviced and new tyres.

So I have an r34 skyline, mk4 Gti golf and legacy b4 sitting in my garden.
Selling the Gti soon though.

Thanks for all the input and replies guys.

Back