97 WRX Catalunya rebuild - Help.

JohnRA

Member Number 3801
My housemate is going to join up but in the meantime I'm getting the ball rolling with this for him.

Knocking from cold. Metal filings found in oil filter on oil change.

What's he looking at replacing? Been on to westward and they said they need to know crank mm size and if it's thrust position 3 or 5 before they can recommend what bearings to go for.

We've caught it early so before we strip engine tomorrow I want to make a short list.

Main bearings.
Head gaskets.
Head bolts.
Oil pump.
Check for cylinder/piston damage.

Anything else or anything not needed? Anything that's worth upgrading while it's stripped? Westward have kindly offered to assess the block once stripped but I think it was on condition parts are bought from them.

2.1 stroker kit . wont really know till its opened. i'd change the oil modine or else flush it out well

Keep going.

And oh it should be thrust #3 centre.

Rocker gaskets
Rocker spark gaskets
Rocker bolts
Rocker bolts seal
Thermostat
Thermostat seal
Water pump
Oil modine
Inlet manifold gasket
Head gasket
Oil filter x2
Oil bung washer x2
Front crankshaft seal
Rear crankshaft seal
Exhaust header gasket x2
Uppipe upper gasket x1
Turbo lower gasket x1
Downpipe upper gasket x1
Cam seal x4

Perfect Dave thanks! I threw him your number today but he said he could only get voicemail and then he rang westward as he's looking for ACL parts and they're an ACL dealer.

Re: Re: 97 WRX Catalunya rebuild - Help.

[quote author=Bonito link=topic=40423.msg1#msg1 date=1390004327]
Perfect Dave thanks! I threw him your number today but he said he could only get voicemail and then he rang westward as he's looking for ACL parts and they're an ACL dealer.
[/quote]

No probs

Cam seals
Rear and front crank seals
O rings for block
It really mounts up , be carefull tightening those cam cap bolts at the front of the engine ,

Engine is out and Dawid has started stripping it. Car has verified mileage from UK with MOT's and service history. Circa 70000 miles I think it is. Chap who sold the car hadn't a clue what was on it so guessing mods were done in UK before it came here. HKS FCD and AFR connected to ECU with Blitz Nur Spec from turbo back. These along with boost spikes most likely contributed to the failure. Rear crank seal is completely bolloxed anyway as there's oil all over bell housing.

Plans are standard rebuild as much as possible. HKS piggyback shite boxes are getting fucked in to the bin. Run engine in and then ESL daughter board and remap.

Dont forget brand new sump.

Would have a selection of second hand parts to to aid build

Likes of perfect centre thrust second hand crank and rods etc.

He was a mechanic in Poland so all work will be done in the garage at home so no labour. At a minimum, and going on prices from Westward for bearings etc he's looking at maybe 500 before gaskets and sundries. Haven't priced anything myself yet but we'll know what's needed when the block is opened and if it's worth saving.

I'm half thinking it will be but we really won't know until tomorrow.

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=40423.msg461283#msg461283 date=1390069581]
Dont forget brand new sump.

Would have a selection of second hand parts to to aid build

Likes of perfect centre thrust second hand crank and rods etc.
[/quote]

Appreciate that Dave. I'll make sure he gets in touch on Monday.

The mans gone power mad already. He's thinking STI pistons, rods, crank, turbo and intake :D

its worse than disease :icon_grin: tell him i.v a lovely closed deck block there for sale with rods and crank suit him down to the ground :thumbsup:

Re: Re: 97 WRX Catalunya rebuild - Help.

[quote author=Bonito link=topic=40423.msg1#msg1 date=1390073981]
The mans gone power mad already. He's thinking STI pistons, rods, crank, turbo and intake :D
[/quote]

Crank same
Rods same
Pistons different but take no more power

STi Heads is what you want.

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=40423.msg461343#msg461343 date=1390079565]
[quote author=Bonito link=topic=40423.msg1#msg1 date=1390073981]
[/quote]

Crank same
Rods same
Pistons different but take no more power

STi Heads is what you want.
[/quote]

Is the whole head different or is it just valves and cams etc that are different?

Back