Heat wrap

Adrian Dunne

Octane Boostaholics
Hi lads is it a good of bad idea to wrap my exhaust manifold,
I have a rattle in the manifold and I'm thinking of cutting away heat shields and wrapping the manifold.
I hear some conflicting information on doing this??

Wrapping the standard manifold is not a great job in my experience , try fixing the heat shields

Re: Re: Heat wrap

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=40245.msg1#msg1 date=1388926765]
Wrapping the standard manifold is not a great job in my experience , try fixing the heat shields
[/quote]

from what aspect?

It never seems to last even when its done right with good heat wrap . Needs to be renewed every year or so depending on klm driven

[quote author=scoobysub link=topic=40245.msg458479#msg458479 date=1388927472]
It never seems to last even when its done right with good heat wrap . Needs to be renewed every year or so depending on klm driven
[/quote]

This Dave

Ciaran Asd said wrapping is a waste of time full stop and always needs to be redone said no benifit with emissions ect

FYI, just to give another data point:

I wrapped my Stainless Steel downpipe with high flow cat. There's noticable improvement in torque etc and pick up accoording to Bob Rawle who mapped the car. He said he was surprised and could notice it had a good bit more margin and "eager" to go for the level of mods (the wrapping was only thing different from other cars like mine he mapped). Had the car on a lift recently and no wear on the wrap at all after doing 14,000 miles in 6 months on a lot of poor roads (Wicklow miltary roads).

In all fairness not the first exhaust I wrapped and used top quality wrapping, ss ties, ss wire and fully sealed with high temp silicone exchaust wrap sealant. Expected life of that wrap will be 50-70k miles on those roads or better if only on good roads (from past experience), or 4-5 rally seasons if doing mix of tarmac gravel. If wrapped anywhere lose and not secured properly with ties and wire, or not sealed, then it won't last more that 5-10k miles. Too many folks have had a go at wrapping not really knowing what they are doing or trying to skimp on material costs or the sealant etc... and that's why so many folks say don't bother with wrapping - which I fully agree with - as only worth doing right as else better not doing it.

Mine is the standard jdm manifold it's in good nick just the shields are rattling a bit.i might just try a repair for the moment.i have all new gaskets so I'll be taking it off anyway.

We dont have much call wrapping o.e. headers. So agree with if can replace sheilds then go for.

As pointed out above its the quality of the wrap.

Also was never designed to be used as a 10 year 150k miles solution.

Also we have found if dont prep exhaust prior with something ad simple as high temp paint and can accelerate exhaust corrosion.

Back to the quality of wrap.

People simpily wont spend the money on the good stuff. So again peoples experiene is not like for like in product quality.

Example in current build we are doing in pic below. The cost of this wrap for headers and downpipe say be near e200.00-e220.00

99% of lads would say feck that and go on ebay and buy wrap for e30.00.

Then come on forum and tell their experience with said e30.00 product.

Then to read comments like above saying waste of time (wow).... FACTS are its not a waste of time and have the same lines of benifits as ceramic coating. Again a dearer option. Hence why lads dont do it. But race teams etc will.

[quote author=gonzogicken link=topic=40245.msg458544#msg458544 date=1388951745]
Thats lovely wrap Dave. Is it carbon fibre or something? Used to seeing the white glassfibre stuff. :scoobydoo:
[/quote]

RCM Magma. 2inch x50ft roll is e105.00

there is definitely a benefit from using heat wrap engine bay temps ,heat turbulence inside the pipe work etc but I have to say I wont be using it again as the last downpipe I had on my car a h&s rotted off it because of the heat wrap I think a coating like zircotec or similar is the best option ,but for your case Adrian just repair subarus own shields

My up pipe was wrapped when I upgraded the turbo and its flaking off badly and needs to be replaced. Probably about 40k on it. I have a roll of DEI titanium heat wrap to go on. Header heat shields are rotten badly so will probably do them as well. What sealant is the best to use?

I used DEI Silicone High Heat Coating - only thing it is very hard to get as apparently not allowed to be airship so almost nobody will ship to Ireland.
In the end I found a place called Rallynuts UK who were willing to ship it. BTW... get the silver / alu colour - do not get the black as it radiates heat out and the silver radiates less.
Not only will that keep gasses in pipe hotter and hence flowing faster, but also important to keep overall under-bonnet-temps as low as possible and very hot black pipes less good for that than silver ones :thumbsup:

The DEI Magma is very good like Dave said... but dear enough.
Tried http://shop.grahamgoode.com/volcano-exhaust-heat-wrap-2-x-50-gg4320-70616-p.asp which with a bit of research seems similar / same and good reviews, but about 1/2 the price from the DEI.

Materials is only half the story though, like I posted earlier, the way you wrap it is equally important (tight wet then dry 1-2 days for further tightness, 1/4 inch overlap no less no more, secure it very tightly with ss exhaust wire and ss cable ties and then fully seal with high temp sealant).

As to pipe rotting --- mmm... few observations:
1) H&S, like many other well known brands do not allow you to wrap their pipes as voids their warranty
2) Cobra is willing to confirm in writing you can wrap their pipes and full life time warranty still applies (that's what made up my mind as to which to buy).
3) Thin walled, or low grade SS will rot - period... good thick walled high grade stainless steel will be fine.
4) wrapping again can influence... if you double wrap fully (instead of the 1/4" or 1/8" overlap depending on whether using 2" or 1" wrap) or even thicker and then seal you can increase the rate of fatigue in the metal due to higher temp cycles - point 3 still fully applies though!
5) Any non-SS shouldn't be wrapped unless you accept that it will rot very quickly

This is just stuff I learned over the years in the rally scene and my own experiences.

@ Adrian, if you have a cast iron manifold and not a custom stainless one, I would not wrap it and would see about getting the OEM shields replaced.

Charles your some man for the info on this subject and others that you have such a high level of knowledge and share it without trying to make a buck just being a genuine bloke fair play surely what membership in the Isdc is all about as I found out chating to you a few times bout various things bloody hell there's a possible career change there for you : ) I know from chating to you that everything you've done to your motor inc wrapping is 300% above the minimum (main reason to park her if u gotta) :plusone:
Good job keep up the good posts +1 karma on route

Thanks for all the great advice lads I have removed the manifold and repaired my heat shields by drilling and bolting any loose areas.

@ Ciaran... thanks man! -used to love working on the cars years ago - not as much €€€ in it maybe and bit of hardship from time to time - but is something you can be passionate about and enjoy!

If I don't know, I don't comment...
If I have something to contribute I will do that and don't expect to profit...
... other times I learn from the threads when others freely and openly contribute - it's great and a lot what the ISDC is all about!

Happy New Year to everyone in the club!

Back