Actual BHP at wheels?

Prodrive

Sunday Drivers
Does anyone know what BHP a standard Classic UK Turbo Impreza puts out at the wheels (not the fly wheel)? Brother in law has a Cupra R Leon and its seriously quick in standard form but we've a had a debate as to why. Does the transfer of power to a 4 wheel drive system equate to a loss of BHP and torque?

Most 4x4 systems will lose 50-60 bhp through the drivetrain where as front drive will lose 20-30 and rear drive 30-40 my car is 263 bhp at the fly and according to cultures dyno it is 205 on the ground

That's a lot of ponies to lose, the Cupra R is seriously quick, doesn't seem to be any weakness in any gear and no turbo lag. Is gearing of a an AWD system a factor as well?

It would be a factor as the Wrx is very highly geared, but also the cupra would be 20 valve so a more responsive engine in general than a Scooby

Learning all the time, Valves were something that we didn't consider. I think his car is 100KG heavier than the Impreza as well but you couldn't tell with the power delivery that he has. So many other factors I'm sure as well, but it is interesting how different cars from different manufacturers get power down and accelerate at different Rev Ranges.

Ye it's mad the things that make a difference I seen it with the ka in a straight drag its quicker than a standard wrx and it's only 119 bhp but it's 750 kg where the Wrx is near 1400 kg that's what makes it

i remenber i had a 00 irish turbo it was brand new took it to one of the clubs rolling road days and it made 200 bhp..

Back