RALLY IRELAND IS A GO

gojonnyjo

Middle Lane Hogs
Rally Ireland will be part of the WRC in 2009,
it has been confirmed at a meeting of the FIA board today.
The actual Rally date is to be confirmed.​

Rally Ireland to return in 2009

World champion Sebastien Loeb won Rally Ireland in November
The FIA World Motorsport Council has voted to award Ireland a round of the World Rally Championship in 2009.
It is planned that Rally Ireland will launch the twelve-round series with the provisional dates being Thursday 29 January to Sunday 1 February.

This year's rally proved to be the biggest sporting event in Ireland this year with up to 200,000 spectators and 3,000 volunteers.

The 2009 rally will again be a cross- border event held in the same region.

This year's Rally Ireland ran across eight counties, north and south, opening with a Super special stage in Stormont and concluding with an exciting special stage on Sligo's Atlantic coast at Mullaghmore.

Following the FIA's decision Rally Ireland founders Sean O'Connor and Ronan Morgan said they were "honoured that Ireland has been awarded the most prestigious position of opening the 2009 WRC series".

"This is a direct result of the hard work by thousands of volunteers who worked on our event, our fantastic fans and the outstanding levels of political support we have received since we started the project.

"The residents of each stage must also be commended for their co-operation and support in making Rally Ireland the huge success it was," they added.

Lads I thought I heard on the rally coverage :roll: that Subaru were not going to develop a car untill the start of the 2009 season if this is true we'll be the first to see the new motor :dunno:

great news, hopefully the weather will be abit better this time.

[quote author=jim dublin link=topic=4531.msg48345#msg48345 date=1197205171]
Lads I thought I  heard on the rally coverage  :roll:  that Subaru were not going to develop a car untill the start of the 2009 season if this is true we'll be the first to see the new motor  :dunno:
[/quote]

Its been virtually impossible to find out any info about the above mentioned point, I do remember RTE stating same but as per everything about their coverage it turns out to be wrong.

Just found this on WRC website today.

Subaru, on the other hand, has a vast experience of the sport - the kind which comes with three manufacturers' and a similar number of drivers' championship victories at the highest level. In 2008, the British-based team will be aiming to relive those former glories with its all-new Impreza WRC 2008 - a car which David Richards describes as a bigger change than the switch from the Legacy to Impreza, which Subaru instigated in 1993.

looking forward to it, is there many of ye going :ponder: i could not go the last time and had to watch it on rte, :( what rubbish coverage :angry: billy coleman moaning about todays rally cars and the cost of it and talking about young people speeding, you would never think he was a rally driver with that talk.
definetly going next time :thumbsup:

[quote author=marksscooby link=topic=4531.msg51609#msg51609 date=1199287808]
looking forward to it, is there many of ye going :ponder: i could not go the last time and had to watch it on rte, :( what rubbish coverage :angry: billy coleman moaning about todays rally cars and the cost of it and talking about young people speeding, you would never think he was a rally driver with that talk.
definetly going next time :thumbsup: its a shame solberg retired :) :subaru:
[/quote]

solberg did what, retire,  he finished 5th in rally ireland unless Im going dooolaaaleee, twilight zone or what??????????
henning did but got back under super rally rules

I was thinking ;) Ya Gronholm went out on stage 4 so i only seen about 8 cars on that stage. Stupid Fin :lol:

Back