Wireless Routers

Rob Spec C

Octane Boostaholics
UPC wireless is basically shite, nearly need direct line of sight and apparently its a common problem. So looking at a second wireless router to give a proper signal throughout the house and looking for advice on what to get.

Anyone got opinions or options to buy new on a budget as don't want to break the bank.

Or anyone have one they're not needing? :icon_lol:

I have a netopia eircom one I'm not using there you can have
Should be handy enough to setup :thumbsup:
My UPC one is great
Even out the garden it works
My mates is crap must be 2 or 3 different versions
My UPC one is Cisco epc3925
Maybe ring UPC first and complain :dontknow:

Robbie
Its a common enough problem with them but a little fettleing normally sorts the issue
I have a program on my tablet that monitors all wifi channels and tells me which one will get the clearest cleanest signal

Wireless phones etc can cause interference
Change the signal channel and see if that makes any improvement, had the same issue with my belkin router a while back and changing channel made it 600% better

I have the same problem in my house.

The tech lad from UPC told me it's because my house is to well insulated with kingspan foil/foam sheets.
Stops the signal traveling.

I'd be very interested in some advice on a good router too.

Thanks lads, I'm out of contract and was just going to move but they offered me 12 months half price if I stay with them so the value is unmatched anywhere else. The thing is UPC will only guarantee speed and signal wired, where as the likes of vodafone fiber, etc promote how good their wifi is.

@colm, I have the same EPC3925 router but its 14months old now so maybe they've updated it. I'll take that eircom router off you next time I see you if you don't mind, I think it will need to be boosted anyway :thumbsup:

@hammie, I've been told to change channels so I'll try that and see how I go :thumbsup:

12 months half price is very good
Yah ill give you the router next time I see you
Changing the channel should work alright in your case
I figured you would have tried that already

same problem here, i'm with sky for broadband but they have all been the same eircom and vodafone, i have bad signal upstairs because of the concrete floors, now i'm not the best on this tech crack, but you can get boosters in pc world there is a cheap on which you can plug in else where in the house and if it can get good signal from the rooter it will spread the signal but this is shite i got one from them tried it did'nt do much so brought it back, i think the more expensive one as about 100e you plug this in as well but it uses the earth wire in the plugs to get the signal and is supposed to be the job but i haven't tried yet, but maybe some one else knows more about them but thats the general idea they are out there buty good ones cost a few pound

Sky, vodafone, BT, all work on eircom network. Robbie I have lots of spare modems in the van, your welcome to one. Have you tried tp links? Not too well up on upc but I assume a tp link into their modem and ethernet cable on the other unit will allow you basically hardwire your laptop/xbox etc in to any room in the house givinguyou full speed. Also no company gaurantee's a speed as such, if for example being sold 50Mb, the small print will say something to the effect of being between 5Mb upto 50Mb hardwired!

Nobody guarantees speed but they advertise a strong wireless signal where UPC don't :wall:

Thanks for the offer of the modem, what are to links?

TP links, come in a pair, plug one in the wall beside modem, connect to modem via ethernet cable, plug other TP link into wall anywhere else in house (once off the same fuse board and not on a fused extension lead) then stick an ethernet cable into that, whatever you connect that too replicates being directly plugged into modem via ethernet cable. Great piece of kit from my experience.

They are overpriced robbie, all you need is capability of broadcasting 50Mb -100Mb, they are probably guaranteed from 200Mb upwards, thats overkill, a quick search on amazon will see you get a set from £20. In essence same technology but also get what you pay for so dont go bottom of the range.

robbie, meant to add that the link you posted for the ones in harvey norman look grand.

Back