Timing Belt info needed.

Prodrive

Sunday Drivers
Year 2000 UK Turbo Sport Wagon, 120,000 miles on the clock, would be confident its genuine as I have a lot of history with the car. Anyway, from new the car has had two full timing belt kits, the last in 2009 with new Water Pump fitted as well, now my question is the car had approximately 91000 miles in 2009 when the new timing belt kit, tensioners and water pump were fitted, should I replace it now or would it be fine? Could I replace the belt only if that is possible or if it were possible could it put too much strain on the mechanical parts? As always thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

If pulleys and that are fine can I only change the belt? I have the receipts for all the previous work over the years, with only 30,000 miles on these mechanical timing parts would these be fine to leave on? Can a belt on its own be bought and fitted?

[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=39409.msg1#msg1 date=1381774882]
never try save money on the timing belt and pulleys ,

do it once and have it done right ,
[/quote]

+1

Better off replacing the whole lot at once then at least you know it's all 100% for another 100,000km or 5 years as Dan said which ever comes first

I would normally say replace all pulleys and tensioner.

But if genuinely had tensioner replaced in 2009 then it will be fine.

Subaru only recommend replace at 120,000 miles. Although would certainly ignore this and replacd every 60,000.

If upon strip down find that whole kit genuinely was replaced incl pulleys then a belt may be the only thing needs replaced.

Track use 110% will accelerate pulley fatigue. So mileage will be reduced.

Dave

Cheers lads, I'm not trying to be cheap, I don't want to dump perfectly good parts unnecessarily. I do see the value however in a complete change for piece of mind. How much would a new engine cost if it all went up in smoke, I think the wife would either :icon_hang: me or file for divorce if I needed a replacement engine lol :icon_grin:

Back