new engine options

scoobysub

ISDC Club Member
as the title says i'm looking for options on a new engine . i have a 2.0 closed deck block sitting there to start with and a 2.0 engine thats in the car but has a piston problem . i only looking for 300bhp max so no need to be putting 500bhp pistons and stuff into it but i want it bulit proof with nothing to do only map for 95 and service it regular. most important i.m on a budget and its not huge . what is the best way to go and what would be the cost roughly. :thumbsup:

Joe whats the story is the piston problem with the leggie?..

That guy lar thats breaking the irish bug sti may be a option think there are 265 bhp so not to far from your 300 bhp target..
Might be a option :dontknow:

What about a used Sti engine and just dropping it in using your turbo
Would this be the cheap way out of it

Don't you have simtek
That Newage sti engine only needs couple of extra wires to work avcs heads if you do

a nice 2.1 stroker kit done right and set of newage matching heads ulta reliable at your power goal depending on budget of course what kinda figure your working with joe

I'd find a newage sti for breaking, buy the whole car and use all the running gear, then sell off whatever's left of the car.

Map it for a safe 300 on 95 (so you don't need a front mount or modified bonnet scoop), stick in a baffle plate and add some NF for trackdays. Then use it to your hearts content :thumbsup:

agree with dave, find out what caused the issue

Now the time to find out what youl use it for, track use, street etc
and build accordingly

joe if it was me and you can afford to do it this is what id do .

1.your closed deck block tested and checked over fully
2.lateral performance 2.1 kit

This kit has been tried, and tested over the last 3 years, with it achieving fantastic results for those looking for exceptional performance, and value for money.

John Moreby hold the current record, having achieved 570bhp, and 10.3 second 1/4 mile times !

The kit can be adjusted to suit donor block, and heads.

The kit contains the following:

EJ257 2.5lt STI crank

Lateral/Wiseco custom 2.1lt piston kit, with rings, & up rated pins

Lateral custom Fast Road "H" section stroker rods ( Long Version)

ACL "Race series" main bearings, phase 2 (set)

ACL "Race Series" centre main thrust bearing (For use on modified closed deck blocks)

ACL "Race series" big end bearings (set)

Multi layer steel head gaskets (pair)

Block o ring set

Please call for parts, and build options.

Price: £1495.00 + vat @ 20% (£1794.00 inc VAT)

Normal Price: £2154.00 inc VAT
You Save: £360.00
% Saved: 16.71%
3. get a reputable builder to assemble the engine
4.get your turbo rebuilt
5.fit higher flowing injectors
6. map it for 95 octane

if you cant afford to spend on the above build ,bring it to a reputable builder for a standard rebuild with uprated pistons and rebuild your turbo and map for 95
either way should be reliable but the first obviously has scope for mods if you ever decide to

Attachments

• 21strokerkit.jpg
    21strokerkit.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 21strokerkit.jpg
    21strokerkit.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 21strokerkit.jpg
    21strokerkit.jpg
  • 21strokerkit.jpg
    21strokerkit.jpg
:thumbsup: thanks for all the replys lads keep them coming :thumbsup: dec your the second person to list that kit to me :thumbsup:will have to work out what the final cost would be before i start to see could i make it work :thumbsup:

you would need to rear thrust convert the closed deck block for the later ej25 crank to work.

as the power planned is in area 300-320 bhp the the fact the at moment assume the crankshaft is in good order on current engine. reusing that would be the most cost effective.

The closed deck block is only put to use where high cylinder pressures and bhp require it as where open deck blocks can fail.

so imo it would be options on a budget such as

1. rebuild 2.0 centre thrust closed deck block 2.0L forged
2. use crank and rebuild a pinned 2.25 forged engine. as piston and rod cost same cost as above and power level doesn't need a closed deck block.
3. if turbo to be retained is a 16g and power levels not planning above 350bhp in end a 2.5 new age semi closed deck block with forged pistons and cosworth high tensile studs.

saving few quid on above will allow purchase of STi V3/4 heads for the build. Lot of euro saved.

thanks for all the replys lads :thumbsup:. being looking at a few options so far but thats as far as its gone . if i went for the 2.1 build then v 3/4 heads would be best but what turbo would be best suited for 300-340bhp i know i have to change the coil packs but is there anything else that should be done .
with a second hand new age engine is there much work to be done on the wiring loom to make it work and what else needs to be changed .
and the last question will my simtek ecu run either of theese options . sorry for all the questions just want to get it right first time round :thumbsup:

New age engine complete with avcs would be hassle yep.

Could feed new age wiring loom in and ecu. But then your simtek needs replaced.

Imo the short engine of your choice.
With v3/4 sti heads is best solution.

For 330-340 a 18g billet conversion of your 16g would get your there. Although upgrade of your charge cooling radiator and pump may be wise.

As said if you have a cdb and your current crankshaft is good you only need rods and pistons for forged 2.0L.

Although as said if using crank would be easier go 2.25L

Dave

cheers dave :thumbsup: . too much hassel with the newage then . so v 3/4 heads a new or secondhand 18g turbo will probley go for a new crank when in that far as the old crank has done god knows how many miles . would parallel fuel lines be a good idea aswell or are they over kill

Back