Heatwrapping up-pipe while on the car?

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
I know its probably very awkward to do, but the heatwrap on my up-pipe needs replacing and rather than having to remove it i was open you could possibly do it while on the car? Anyone ever done it successfully without removing it? Ideally i'd like to get it done before the track day.

Hi, honestly don't think it's realistic to wrap it while on the car. You simply haven't enough space to access the pipe sufficiently. The time it would take to remove and refit the pipe would easily be won back with ease of access while wrapping and you'll do a much better job. At best, if you'd even manage at all, you'll not have a nice tight wrap and you won't be able to tie it down as well or seal it and hence will wear / come off much quicker...

[quote author=Keadeen link=topic=39338.msg449344#msg449344 date=1381144840]
Hi, honestly don't think it's realistic to wrap it while on the car. You simply haven't enough space to access the pipe sufficiently. The time it would take to remove and refit the pipe would easily be won back with ease of access while wrapping and you'll do a much better job. At best, if you'd even manage at all, you'll not have a nice tight wrap and you won't be able to tie it down as well or seal it and hence will wear / come off much quicker...
[/quote]

Thats what i was thinking, i might just re-wrap the bottom section for now if thats the only bad bit and take the headers and upipe off when i have more time and wrap them both 1 one go.

Back