Fixed vs adjustable rear anti roll bar

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
I ordered a whiteline adjustable rear bar but the sent me the fixed one in error, i was taking off the endlinks earlier to put on some solid perrin ones and rounded one of the bolts on the antiroll bar side so looks like i need to remove the ARB to get it off, since im removing the bar i was going to just slap in the new fixed whiteline rather than wait on the adjustable version to turn up. Legacy one only has two settings, but thinking now i dont think i would ever really change it around once installed. Ill also need to install the anti roll bar reinforcement mounts so looks like ill have my hands full later! Is it worth waiting for the adjustable version to turn up? Ill definitely need to get the endlinks replaced before the car is drivable! not much leverage toget them off easily, even with the car up on a lift

The first real question is what is the thickness of the bar you ordered & again what is the thickness of the one you received?

[quote author=STi Brian link=topic=39190.msg447646#msg447646 date=1379511881]
The first real question is what is the thickness of the bar you ordered & again what is the thickness of the one you received?
[/quote]

both are 20mm thick

As above..

also it seems to me like you answered your question yourself. You said You wouldn't ever change it around once installed, then what's the point of installing the adjustable one?

Taking off the droplinks shouldn't be a big deal imo. Hope your'e doing it with the wheels on the ground? The ramp would be the best to do it on.

Endlinks are know to be a nightmare on these legacy's, ill try again with some different tools, doing it on a reamp with wheels hanging freely
according to the whiteline site:

2 point adjustable - simply add 1mm for extra (stiffer) hole position. Example - Upgrading from an 18mm factory bar to a
Whiteline 22mm 2 point adjustable sway bar results in a 123% (soft) and 167% (hard) increase in torsion rigidity.

So the adjustable version is 20mm on soft and 21mm on hard setting. Not much in it really, and adjustable one is out of stock for another week or two, seller said the adjustable will give you a but more rear roll stiffness, ill wait and see when he can get it shipped to me.

Somebody with more experience in legacys might be able to offer an opinion but I would have thought that 20 or 21mm was still on the lower scale.

Most recommend 22mm for classic Impreza & 24mm for newage. I know spec c Imprezas come with 21mm as standard so my way of thinking would be to get the adjustable & leave it on its hardest setting?

As I wrote above, the droplinks should be fitted with the wheels on the ground, not hanging freely. When the car is lifted, there is a huge preload getting into the droplinks and antirollbar.

It really depends what you want achieve. by fitting a stiffer real antirollbar you may cause a lot of oversteering which may make the car unstable, especially in wet conditions.
Adjustable antirollbar would allow some more control over different settings.
Whiteline antirollbars tend to be more rigid than the stock subaru ones, so even on its softer setting there should be a whole lot of difference.

I got the endlinks off finally thanks to mr vise grips! instructions say to install etc on jack stands with suspension not loaded but even on both sides. thickest bar available for legacys is 21mm which is what the adjustable one offers on stiff setting, i know the impreza's are usually thicker to start off with upgrades going up to 24-25mm. I have both front and rear Whiteline bars to go on and endlinks so should be nice and balanced once done. New shocks and springs aswell along with anti lift kit and new front bushings should see a great improvement

got the Perrin endlinks on at least:

2-3 weeks wait for the adjustable rear ARB, look at the spec of the one for my model there is very little space between the 2 holes, i'd say it would be very hard to notice the difference between the two bolt holes. Ill sleep on it!

Back