couple questions (turbo and ewg)

roakesti

Sunday Drivers
first question is, can the wastegate housing be changed on the td05 turbo, my turbo is stuffed but i have another td05 but there is a hairline crack on the wastegate housing, can i just chop and change. or should i go a different route

and second question is, id love to get that wastegate chatter, how do u do that. is it weld the iwg shut and install an ewg. where does it go, whats best way to go about it
any info be appreciated

You should be able to switch exhaust housings as in unbolt cracked housing and bolt on uncracked one.

As regards "waste gate chatter" that is not the waste gate making that sound (common mis understanding)
it's compressed air coming back through the inlet on the turbo when you close the throttle, try to make the turbo spin backwards,usually happens on engines with no dump valve or engine with a dump valve where the spring is too hard.

No need for external wastegate

[quote author=roakesti link=topic=39122.msg446937#msg446937 date=1378904051]
oh ok, i thought it was a mod u could do to get that noise.
[/quote]

Just delete dump valve

how is that done.

i was reading about it and ppl were saying to weld the iwg and do sumtin else aswell

[quote author=roakesti link=topic=39122.msg1#msg1 date=1378905133]
how is that done.

i was reading about it and ppl were saying to weld the iwg and do sumtin else aswell
[/quote]

You don't do anything with the wastegate .Have you a front mount?

Anyone on the Internet that says the chattering noise is the wastegate hasn't a clue. Only reason you should be thinking of going external wastegate is to control boost on a huge turbo, not for "I like the noise" factor

I agree. But u can't help it if u like the noise. I will be going that way. I have just got a car for project. Have turbo, fmic, new exhaust, fuel pump, injectors, sitting in shed. Car getting body mods done at mo. then going for respray. Have to find apexi ecu and then put bits on then go remap

[quote author=roakesti link=topic=39122.msg446960#msg446960 date=1378929523]
I agree. But u can't help it if u like the noise. I will be going that way. I have just got a car for project. Have turbo, fmic, new exhaust, fuel pump, injectors, sitting in shed. Car getting body mods done at mo. then going for respray. Have to find apexi ecu and then put bits on then go remap
[/quote]

Ok if you want the "chatter" remove the dump valve from the fmic pipework and blank up the hole..........job done

Back