what oil filter?

blacktar

Club Chairman
Staff member
ISDC Club Member
i'm sure it's been discussed before but i can't find thread, oil change on a standard 04 wrx, i have been using ufi filters, car doesn't do big mileage these ok? or am i better to be using genuine o/filters and if so black or blue, also what grade oil for the rear diff. thanks lads :mechanic:all road use no track use :thumbsup:

i would use either the blue or back subaru filter,some prefer the black ones which can still be bought,there was a recall done on some batchs of blue ones due to them not sealing on the engine properly this has been now sorted but i havent heard of any of the blue filters failing or leaking but subaru said the may lose there seal and lose oil ect i went with a black one on last oil change

only ever use black filters, gonna try out the new rcm filter for next change

refuse to use blue,as alan has said seal failing

Cheers who is the best value for them. And not to bad for postage

I use the blue ones from our trader c&c.

I'm a mechanic and am very fussy about my spec-c!

Track days and proper road use (daily 24/7)

Never an issue with blue genuine filters!!

Internet can be a terrible thing.

Re: Re: what oil filter?

[quote author=Grahamo spec c link=topic=39089.msg1#msg1 date=1378591905]
I use the blue ones from our trader c&c.

I'm a mechanic and am very fussy about my spec-c!

Track days and proper road use (daily 24/7)

Never an issue with blue genuine filters!!

Internet can be a terrible thing.
[/quote]

The internet is certainly a terrible thing at times.

We have used 100's of the blues without single issue.

subaru released batch numbers that if traders and the public had the filters to return them and i seen the letter issued to the local subaru garage to me , when i asked about them faulty filters he produced it for me to read,but as i said i havent heard of any failing or the likes

They certainly dont feel the same quality as the the black ones re weight and construction. But i would be quite sure subaru has tested its filteration is on par with their standards.

The second option filter we use if customer on more of a budget or chooses is a Mahle filter. Well constucted and has the feeling of quality and weight of the older black filters.

Dave

i remember seeing somewhere that the filter off a mazda or something is the same black filter with same tread for fitting as subaru and is around same price as blue one never followed up on it maybe poo talk

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=39089.msg446620#msg446620 date=1378629581]
They certainly dont feel the same quality as the the black ones re weight and construction. But i would be quite sure subaru has tested its filteration is on par with their standards.

The second option filter we use if customer on more of a budget or chooses is a Mahle filter. Well constucted and has the feeling of quality and weight of the older black filters.

Dave
[/quote]

are the blue ones slightly smaller dave?

Lads subaru like most other manufacturers don't make there filters those blue filters are made by fram, I don't know who makes the black one, but what I'm saying is it doesn't need to be a subaru filter just a recognised filter company like Dave said you could you mahle, Mann, crossland,blue print etc once they are built by any of those who specialize in filter construction they will be fine. My car has never had anything other than blue print and is no worse for it

Back