What's this ?????????

F

forester sti

I spotted it out side a gaf in ballycullen!
Any ideas?
Dan

i would of though Alfa Gtv alright, looks like an Abarth badge on the grill too. i thought Alfa Gtv's had circle light though :dunno:

106BB21-Alfa001.jpg

Just googled it, its not a renault. The hunt continues.

Cartell info below.

Vehicle Description
Registration 75D950
Make MAKE UNSPECIFIED
Model UNKNOWN MODEL
Engine Capacity(cc) 1294
Fuel Type PETROL

Matra Bagheera anybody? :?

Also known as the Matra-Simca Bagheera, it won a trophy for the most beautiful, and at the same time functional design back in 1974 - competing against cars like the Lancia Beta and Ferrari 308 GTB. But though they were lightweight (polyester body) and well-streamlined, with excellent handling, they only had a 1294cc Simca engine and that was probably the only time a Bagheera beat a Ferrari!  ;)

s1_front_quarter.jpg

Found it!  :thumbsup:

This very car was on eBay earlier in the year: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Abarth-Matra-...0QQihZ012QQcategoryZ18308QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem, but it seems to have been "well got-at", front and back, and nothing to do with Abarth (except possibly the exhaust, judging by those four tailpipes) in spite of the badges - somebody's "make believe" maybe?  :roll:

It failed to reach its reserve the first time, but appears to have sold (to a buyer in Germany???) on 29th July, for £1,749.00: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220132359683 

1731_1.jpg

dd65_1.jpg

There's a clip of it on youtube.

Good man greenwagon! :clap: :clap: :clap:
That's a good detailed answer! I'd say you did well in your leaving cert! :D
:thumbsup:
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=4454.msg47280#msg47280 date=1196358630]Good man greenwagon!  :clap: :clap: :clap:[/quote]

Dan,

Well I knew it wasn't one of the Alfetta GTVs (I had a couple of Alfettas after my GT Junior - horrible gearchange due to the gearbox being on the back axle, but they drove well enough and were cheap to buy secondhand); only I was sure that I'd come across these and admired the style of them in years gone by - but that was probably back in the '70s...

That's a good detailed answer! I'd say you did well in your leaving cert! :D:

:oops: Like I said before - I used to be a librarian, but I'm alright now, honest!  :lol:

I know dave! :thumbsup:
I just wanted to let everyone else in on the challange !
Dan

[quote author=briancollins link=topic=4454.msg47346#msg47346 date=1196382875]Thats one strange lookin car[/quote]

The original version was a classic piece of 1970s styling (though personally I think a lot of the best designs came out of the previous decade) and reminiscent of the Lamborghini Urraco:

Lamborghini20Urraco.jpg

The one in Ballycullen has had the front end modified to get rid of the pop-up headlights (maybe they were giving trouble?) and the back end should look like this:

75Matra.jpg

... but it has had the original rectangular tail lights changed for four round ones, probably in an attempt to make it look more like a Ferrari from the rear? Maybe it once had prancing-horse badges on it (instead of the Abarth ones) - now that would be really tacky!

And pigs might fly!
pig_flying.gif

one of my favourite cars in the world is the muira, absolutely beautiful

Back