Hawk STI replacement shocks / dampers ?

Keadeen

Hi Folks,

Hope you can help me out and have gone through this already...

Rear shocks started knocking like mad. Bit of research on web says that it is a known problem (something to do with grease drying up). Checked with CamSkill for KYBs, but they say that there are no KYB Ultra SR for the Hawk STI (only for the non STI). Looked at Bilstein, Koni, Monroe etc... and cannot find any replacement shocks! The only options seem to be coil-over or OEM replacement.

Don't really relish OEM replacements at over a grand for just the rears (Yep, stupid price! and at dealer even dearer at €1400 for a set of STI rears) and also afraid that with the mileage I do I would need to replace again in 1-2 years. :eek7:

Don't really relish coil-over options either because absolutely do not want to lower the car (need and want the clearance for the bad military roads I travel every day and snow clearance etc) and also would prefer a ride no harder than current OEM spec. :ponder:

Any suggestions?

Anyone fit KYB/Bilstein/Koni/Monroe shocks not officially compatible with a Hawk STI and found it works well (Tommy?) -- if yes, what are the part numbers?

Thanks!

Kyb in mine all right Charles , on tein springs , not a knock for 2 years nearly ,

don't know part numbers though as I bought them up north from a guy changing for coilovers at the time

check for blobeye post 2005 as these are essentially the same widetrack cars the hawk with a different front end ,

alternatively get down to your motor factors , buy a tin of white lithium grease , jack the car up and spray on the shock strut , used to cure the knocking for 3-4 months at a time , all though I wouldn't be doing the same kms as you are

Thanks Tommy... will do another search!

Rob, you're right... I could take them off, dismantle, grease and put back on... but if there was a replacement I'd probably go for that.

Bought a second hand set of hawk shocks a while back with the intention of doing the grease nipple job, this topic just reminded me :thumbsup:

Was away lads and just saw the replies. Thanks a mill for the vid and will give it bit of thought. Still would prefer a permanent "fix and forget" solution, but putting nipple on I guess is next best thing. TNX.

Even if you buy new from Subaru, it won't be long before they start doing it too and you'll be back to square one. A permanent solution would be well made coilovers but as you have said that opens up a different problem on your roads.

Back