Aircon not working

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
Only noticed it as a result of our recent heatwave, im getting nothing but warm air from the aircon system, aircon pump used to spin for a few seconds and stop again when idling, its not moving at all now, so either pump is knackered, fuse is blown or system needs re-gassing. Anybody ever have similar happen?

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=38472.msg439806#msg439806 date=1373316611]
Only noticed it as a result of our recent heatwave, im getting nothing but warm air from the aircon system, aircon pump used to spin for a few seconds and stop again when idling, its not moving at all now, so either pump is knackered, fuse is blown or system needs re-gassing. Anybody ever have similar happen?
[/quote]

Most likely needs to be regased

x2 it needs to be re-gassed most likely,

local place here does it here for 60e, but expect to pay around 100e

Paid €70 last time I got it done. you may have a leak and that price will not allow for that.

I'll pm you a lads number there

i bought a can of that gas from halfords to see would it work, found a leak in the system, it leaks from where the pipe connects onto the aircon radiator so that would explain the lack of gas in the system. its a really awkward connection to access. i might see can i put some sealnt around it to stop it leaking. Worst case scenario i would need to replace the aircon radiator and pipe that connects back to the aircon pump. Any idea how much that might cost?

Its a rubber o ring on the inner part of the connection , cost about 50cent so dont use the sealer as that a bodge job :thumbsup:

not sure its a seal i think the metal has cracked away from the rad and is leaking there. i put some sealant over it to see if that works but i dont think it will

not sure if its all audi dealers or not but audi sligo are regassing for 39 euro good value. whenya get it sorted. heard before better done on machine than halfords can. wifes car got done today great job.

So i just took out my ac condenser to find out the extent of the damage looks like i need a need condenser unit. i took it off the car today, and re-attached the pipe back onto the pump just to keep dirt out of that hole. so now i have the large H pipe not connected at the other end and also the smaller black pipe that connects onto the front of the condenser disconnected. The AC pulley is still connected as normal running off the crank, will this burn out the pump fairly quickly since there is no gas in the system or will it be fine? I need to order a new condenser unit so it might be a week or two before i get one

I plan to refit new condenser myself and get a garage to re-gas the system, since im sure there is moisture and that in my system now that will need to be vacuumed out. So my only concern is keeping the AC pulley spinning until replacement is fitted, will that cause damage?

bit of a crack!

Anybody know the part number for a condenser unit for twinscroll models?

Turn the a/c switch off or unplug the eletromagnetic clutch on the a/c pump simples

yeah pn is 73210AG000 it seems just waiting to see how much C+R want for one if they call me back

@Baz: if the a/c pulley is still spinning, will that wear out the pump quickly? if i disconnect the connector for the clutch it will still be spinning i think or would that be just the pulley?

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=38472.msg440617#msg440617 date=1373897812]
yeah pn is 73210AG000 it seems just waiting to see how much C+R want for one if they call me back

@Baz: if the a/c pulley is still spinning, will that wear out the pump quickly? if i disconnect the connector for the clutch it will still be spinning i think or would that be just the pulley?
[/quote]

Of coarse its still spinning as the belt is still on there, but the pump is not engaged so wont affect it. Plus you have depressurized the system so it cant be engaged.
If you worried just pull the belt off

Could also get the rad repaired just needs to be brazed/soldered and pressure tested

Back