Dead Battery????

MARTINGTI

Octane Boostaholics
Hi guys,

A quick question, I have the B4 a few months now but it has spent most of its time parked up. The last few days iv had it outside, spraying wipers etc and my son was in it, flashing lights etc....! Went out last night to drive it into garage and its dead as a doornail. I presumed battery dead. So I left it till this morning, got my power pack, connected it up, and nothing! Got my jumper cables and still nothing.

When I sit into the car and insert the key I have the bing noise to tell you the key is in, and this sounds fine, as in loud etc. when I turn the key then nothing, im not even getting a hint of life from the dash lights etc.... So im hoping that maybe unless the battery is up to a certain voltage it wont make any effort??? Because I really thought with the leads it would show some life??? Im not even getting a clicking noise....

The car is a 2000 reg B4.

Thanks guys

have you a second key for car , to eliminate the possibility of dodgy immobiliser chip ??

I have a key but it's just a plain metal key. The alarm on it is a sigma with a seperate fob but I don't use it, I just lock the doors with the key.

Make sure jumper cables are really transferring power. Move them until u see/hear some sparks do be sure. Wait for 5-10min and then try.

Sent from my HTC One X

Ok, the plot thickens! Whipped the battery out of the wife's golf and put it in. Still the same. No dash lights or anything coming on. But I still have the bing bing sound when I put the key in... Any ideas???

Do you happen to have a multimeter, if so i'd use it and check your battery.

The amp on your wifes car might be lower than your legacy battery.

So wouldn't be enough to turn it over.

Start from fresh, check n charge the legacy battery.

The try it again.

No meter I'm afraid, wife's battery is 440ah and legacy is 460ah. Still thought it should turn it over or at least show some sign of life??

Ill have to wait to get a charger now for my battery so any ideas in the mean time would be good!

No clicking... But when I connect the battery I can hear the ecu make low noises and beeps etc...

Wifes battery should have enough even to turn it over.

Are all the earth connections good, had a similar problem a few years back.

Turned out battery was fine, bad earth connections on the car.

Easy way to check is put in your wifes battery into your car, then connect the negative lead from the jump leads onto a

good solid earth point on the body of the car and back onto the negative on the battery and try.

Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks lad, ill try that. Thinking myself it must be a loose connection. Just remembering now actually i thought a few days ago it done it when I went to start it, then tried again and it started fine. Didnt think much if it at the time!

any chance there is a kill switch or immobiliser on it that the young lad activated by accident ?

Ok I have a development! Wife was driving car around the house with young lad yesterday. Any time she turned on indicators the dash lights would flash??? As in come on and go off and so on around the rev clock and speedo etc... She also thinks the rev needle and speedo were dropping to zero while they were unlit. Then the would re light and come back up again! So definitely an electrical issue I think ya??? Any ideas???

And iv checked all the fuses inside the car beside the bonnet release and the ones behind the battery under the bonnet too.

I would check the Neutral cable on your battery to ground Make sure you have a good conection to the chassis.If your Neutral is not good you will get all sorts of funky things with the electrics. It can't be a short on the + live side or you would be blowing fuses.

Ok I took off the earth from the neutral pole of the battery, sanded it down and re joined it. No good! I found two more earths, one behind the water bottle and one onto the solinide box. Done them too and still no joy! It's so annoying because it is obviously just a connection somewhere!!

Another thing, stuff that works in the car without the ignition being on still work fine, horn, hazard lights etc... Might give someone an idea!

could be any number of thing being honest :ponder: bad ground blown fuse immobilizer not recognizing the key hard to tell . where abouts are you

Scoobyturbos car wouldn't start
It sat there for months
He thought all kinds of reasons why
I sent a mechanic up and he had it running in 10 minutes
Was a broken wire inside the car
Where it had been joined before but badly and the connection corroded
As Joe said could be anything get a mechanic up to it that knows what he is doing would be a good start
shame to have it lying there

Back