Excessive brake squeel

Mark Cahill

Full ISDC Members 2015Member Number 555
Well lads. Haven't been on here in a while, but I'm having trouble with squeeling brake pads since I fitted new discs and pads. They are Mintex pads for Brembo calipers with drilled and grooved MTec discs. All is fine until the heat builds up and then the noise is ridiculous unless you are slamming on the brakes.

Is there anything I can do to try and get rid of or even reduce this noise? If not can someone recommend me some pads that don't make much noise when braking?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup: :subaru:

Have you got the groves on the discs facing forward or backwards?

Forward gives better braking but can lead to noise on soft breaking.

mintex are terrible for that i have them in my car what i did was take out the pads and file them down 45degrees at the leading edge which would be the bottom of the pad and then as robbie said some copper grease on the backs of them before refitting that will stop it for a while but it will come back unfortunately

Its the 1166 that I have at the minute. They came with the discs so thats why I put them on. I think I'll just have to change them out, the squeel is too much for an everyday car. Can someone recommend a set for a budget of around €100?

Not sure if 100 will buy much in the performance pads range.
Check online and see.
Try flog the 1166's get money back for them to go with the 100.

Brembo calipers Baz. Can move on the budget if I have to but would rather not have to spend a few hundred at the minute.

[quote author=DUFFMAN link=topic=38131.msg436723#msg436723 date=1370037454]
Have you got the groves on the discs facing forward or backwards?

Forward gives better braking but can lead to noise on soft breaking.
[/quote]

Grooves are forward facing.

Well to be honest man be prepared to pay 200 for a decent set of pads for brembos. I paid 180 euro for ebc yellow stuff for Subaru 4 pots

I got cl pads in mine and suffer the same problem but just got kinda used to it worth it fr the stoppin power very "motor sport too" ha

Back