Metal Fabrication

Donie_typeR

Petrolheads
Right lads
Getting the car resprayed in a month or two depending on having a little bit or rust issue on rear inner wheel arch where the bumper attachs to the panel.

I want to cut this peice out and replace with new metal.

Anyone know any place in the midlands or can travel further if needed.

Just had a thought there anyone with type-R shell scrapped out there that the arch are ok and cut those out and weld into min.

Want to do it right as I have the car 6 yrs and I'm gona keep it for life so don't want to be seeing any spots of rust in 15 yrs time.

donie get onto jamie in the traders section he is breaking a type r at the moment he might be able to help ya man

not sure would GRP4 fabrications in galway be any help for this :dontknow:091763544

Donie I wouldn't go down the second-hand panel route... coz I think you'll find it very hard to find a classic now that doesn't have rust in this area. I got my wagon repaired nearly a year and half ago... rust ground down... treated... filled etc... and it's back again. The only thing to do is cut every sign of rust out as you said you were planning. I'd buy new panels if you want this to last a long time... and if you don't want to go down the fabricated route... but they'll cost an arm and a leg. If you can find a skilled fabricator who can mock up a replacement section with the correct rolled shape and a swaged edge to make the join tidy on it then it might be your best bet. The reason these areas rust is because of Subarus poor rust proofing. When I removed my quarter panels on my Type R I was amazed how little cavity wax there was were the outer arch meets the inner tub. If you do get it repaired make sure to get an extension probe in and and cavity wax/rust proof the hell out of it afterwards to try slow it down from happening again.

Torsten in GRP4 might be an option as Eoin mentioned... but it might be worth finding an old school bodyshop who'd have the skills to fabricate/roll metal and do a really tidy repair. Very few people do this any more as it's time consuming... so labour expensive... and most would rather just throw new panels at a car rather thatn fabricate anything of any real quality.

When I had my last mini restored
The lads used old damaged panels off other cars
Wings of BMW etc. cut a piece off and weld on to my car
Obviously the non damaged parts
Worked a treat
Better material too

You could try Jomo engineering near Mullingar (0857453129)he does a lot of fabrication on high performance kit and has done good work for me in the past.

Hi lads

Does anyone know if the arch of front wing is the same as arch on rear quarter panel?
Would be handy way out if they were?

Back