Keys.

Evobully

Petrolheads
Gents,
I only have one key for my 02 WRX.And I am worried about loosing it.Not the plot the key :cuckoo: I was in Carroll and Roache and they say a new key is around 250.I think the car just has standard Subaru security using the remote on the key.Not good these days.
So the question is..If I upgrade the alarm and get 2 new fobs to open the car etc do I still need the Subaru key in the ignition to start the car? What I mean is there a key reader that requires the genuine Key to start the car or could I just get a key cut to match the one I have. I have seen a few threads recomending the Clifford systems so I would get one of those but I don't want to buy a 250 euro key aswell.
Any Ideas welcome.

Is it an Irish/UK or Jap WRX?

Pretty sure all Irish/UK have immobilisers built into the key but japs are just standard keys.

firstly have some karma !

yeah you would still need subaru key in ignition.

price one off your local locksmith or buy the key your self online , works out cheaper than main dealer sometimes .

im a (locksmith) and if your key had a chip and was programabble id charge €80 , but cant do remote locking .

Thanks gents,
Its an Irish car.
The key has a remote open/close buttons.If the key is left in the ignition but the car is not started it shows a red Key symbol on the dash until you start the car which I guess is the factory immoblizer.
So I should buy an old remote key from fleebay and get the new key bit cut and the thing reprogramed by a good locksmith like yerself to match the original key
They spend big on a nice alarm with remote C/L.
Cheers :icon_biggrin:

Back