Rear Strut Brace modification - or anyone got the part I need

ondafly

Sunday Drivers
Howdy folks,

I picked up a rear strut brace for the bug - so went about fitting it yesterday. Stumbled onto a problem straight away though, the 2 end points on the brace don't match. I suspect one is for a classic, and the other newage. Now luckily I've been refunded for the brace fully, and told I could keep it. So now I'm thinking a bit of modifying and I can get this to fit.

Basically the 3 bolts on the top of the shock, don't line up with the 3 holes on the brace end. I'm thinking I could drill/file out the holes a bit to make it fit, but I'm wondering is this a bit risky safety wise ?

from the pic - the one on the left fits either side, whereas the one on the right is off by a few mm
d842ea95-c64a-4847-86da-5f3204cb12e9_zpsf4ae1b57.jpg

how far off are the holes??

if they are only a gnats whisker you could elongate the holes but you may get some clunking when it moves in the holes, i suspect no matter how hard you do up the nut the force of the car will overcome it easily and move the strut

[quote author=ondafly link=topic=37955.msg434849#msg434849 date=1368456180]
from the pic - the one on the left fits either side, whereas the one on the right is off by a few mm
[/quote]

Off by a few millimetres? Could it be possible your car was previously in a rear end shunt or perhaps rear side impact and the suspension mounts have moved ever so slightly?

Are the holes the same spacing on each... regardless of bracket that extends down to brace?? if they are... cut the bracket off and get it welded up in the new postion once it is all fitted with brace bar.

@Andy... if it was that far out a the top mount due to accident damage the car would be crabbing like crazy... doubt it's accident damage. You can see difference in hole positions too... looks like a case of mis-matched brackets or poorly fabricated

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=37955.msg434856#msg434856 date=1368460023]
[quote author=ondafly link=topic=37955.msg434849#msg434849 date=1368456180]
[/quote]

Off by a few millimetres? Could it be possible your car was previously in a rear end shunt or perhaps rear side impact and the suspension mounts have moved ever so slightly?
[/quote]

a shunt ? afraid not - as the left hand piece fits perfect. Naw the issue here is one end is for a classic and the other for newage. My question being if I file out the bolt ends am I safe to run a strut brace like that.

@Goosie/Jamie - you line up one hole with the other 2 being well out, or you can line up 3/4s of 2 holes (would need filing) and need to drill for the 3rd. If I get a chance to do this in the next few weeks is doubtful though ! but I'm gonna give it a shot.

The part itself is from Whiteline in Australia (although I didn't buy it from them) - I'm gonna drop them a mail with a photo and see if they can sell me the correct end link, as long as the price is reasonable !

Surely it is safe to fit, your car is perfectly safe without a rear brace so of you fit this and the bracket snaps then that just leaves you back where you started, with no rear brace!

Back