Headlight Restoration

tommy 555

Member Number 935
As above , want to do the headlights as they are starting to show their age , what kits have people used and what results have been like ,

Just done mine today Tommy, drop out tomorrow and I'll go through it with you, it involved wet sanding!

Fill us in lads on the progress and what you use please :thumbsup:

My headlights are going yellow and shaded!

[quote author=ianfl link=topic=37842.msg433690#msg433690 date=1367527880]
Diesel Tom does this at his place
[/quote]

Nicky is a bit more local 2 me Iano :icon_grin:

[quote author=Grahamo spec c link=topic=37842.msg433687#msg433687 date=1367527442]
Fill us in lads on the progress and what you use please :thumbsup:

My headlights are going yellow and shaded!
[/quote]

No problem Graham , mite tackle them on monday if i get the kit so wil let ya know :yellowthumb:

Did a few in our bodyshop.Wet sand ,then polish and buff up.Results were good.I was only using ordinary 3M compound rather than a "special" kit.I wonder what's in the kit.
I must do the blob soon.Just waiting on the courage to de tango them first.

as above i did mine a few years ago and just used compound and a buffer and kept it wet with a spray of water and then polish it off when finished

Mighty car mods on youtube have a episode on it look it up think mango fruit worked the treat but they go through loads of diff treatments..

All thats needed to restore discolouration is standard polishes and pads. For light scratches etc, then you need to wetsand :thumbsup:

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=37842.msg433711#msg433711 date=1367532315]
All thats needed to restore discolouration is standard polishes and pads. For light scratches etc, then you need to wetsand :thumbsup:
[/quote]

standard procedure then , just use the mezerna heavy cut down to fine ? and just seal as normal

As long as you have a machine Tom, you'd be all year trying to do it by hand :nono:

Did you get a DA from cleancar? Best with a rotary, but give the DA a go and if it doesn't work, you can borrow my rotary :thumbsup:

Ross, Do they need to be sanded again or just polished up?

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=37842.msg433784#msg433784 date=1367609527]
As long as you have a machine Tom, you'd be all year trying to do it by hand :nono:

Did you get a DA from cleancar? Best with a rotary, but give the DA a go and if it doesn't work, you can borrow my rotary :thumbsup:

Ross, Do they need to be sanded again or just polished up?
[/quote]Whats best for paint Rob, DA or rotary and what exactly in the difference :carwash: sorry for changing subject slightly

[quote author=blacktar link=topic=37842.msg433785#msg433785 date=1367610507]
Whats best for paint Rob, DA or rotary and what exactly in the difference :carwash: sorry for changing subject slightly
[/quote]

Depends, I'd use a rotary no matter what but as a beginner, DA polisher would be a good bet for your scooby as the paint is quite soft. But using a DA on VAG paint is a nightmare so going with a rotary would be better.

Its basically a lot easier to do damage with a rotary, where as the DA is pretty much fool proof but as long as you are very careful, I'd start with a rotary. If in doubt, practice on the womans car first :multijump:

don't think i'll chance it prob a bit over fussy with cleaning, i'd crack if i left a swirl mark, as for for trying on the wifes i'd be shot just got 07 a4 avant sline from uk nice dark grey colour needs machining just some slight brush wash marks, but prob get some one to do, to afraid, Would love to learn how to machine some day, but would need to get practice on some aul yoke

To be honest, you don't really need a scrapper or anything to practice on. You just need to start slow, build your confidence and look at some tutorials online. There is a lot of scaremongering about it on forums and the thought of it can be a bit daunting but you'd pick it up quick enough.

You can't avoid swirls, they will unfortunately happen, the best you can do is minimise them with a good wash technique :thumbsup:

Back