DIY Oil Change Reqired

Rob Spec C

Octane Boostaholics
What are the do's and don'ts?

Obviously need a filter, washer and the oil but want to know exactly what I'm doing before I go at it :mechanic:

Warm the oil first with little spin. Helps to thin the oil so it runs out easier. Don't try it for the first time outside your front door. It is easy to misjudge how far the hot oil spurts across your hand,when you open the sump plug. I found out the hard way haha.
Try and keep the car level so no oil left in sump.
Loosen the oil filler cap to reduce vacuum,when dropping the oil out. Have a cup of tea to let most of the oil drip out.
Use a new crush washer each time.
Don't overtighten the filter or sump plug as you will damage the threads.
Fill the new filter with fresh oil and rub a little on the seal before fitting. It helps prevent temporary oil starvation and seals better.
Don't dump the waste oil. A garage may take it or take to a recycling centre. There are other uses for it too but I won't say what they are here.
Make sure you have enough oil. I think 4.5lt from memory.
Warm engine after stop and check level again. Check underneath for leaks from filter and sump plug.
Don't use cheap oil or mineral oil. I think they are for running in rebuilt or old classic motors. Apparently mineral oil slows leaks down on old engines due to longer molecules or something.
Use a genuine subaru filter. Lot of expensive and worse ones out there. 10 Euro a filter from main dealer has got to be a good investment.
Use axel stands for easy access. Don't rely solely on a jack. This is the most important safety step. Enjoy.

Heat engine up.
Remove under tray (if fitted)
Remove sump bung and washer.
Drain oil.
Remove filter (near sump bung)
Let oil drain till it drips.
Fill new filter with new oil and oil the seal.fit filter.
Refit sump bung with new washer.
Fill engine with oil.
Start engine for a few minutes, turn off.
Let oil settle for a few minutes and dip oil level.
Top up as required.

As above.

On new age. Pull fuse second in from right in middle row. Crank engine over. Build pressure

Refit fuse and start.

Thanks for the advice lads, appreciate it :goodjob:

Oil is 15W50 motul, only oil I use :thumbsup:

How many clips or bolts should I be looking for to remove the undertray?

Prob stupid question but
Would oil not be in same place after doing your shopping why don't need to crank over engine then

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=37704.msg432187#msg432187 date=1366393642]
How many clips or bolts should I be looking for to remove the undertray?
[/quote]
5/6 bolts and 4/5 clips - mine has been off for awhile now so cant remember. Once your under the car you'll see them easily enough.

I think there is four 14mm bolts and it comes down.
Might be some plastic speed clips too holding it on.
You will see them when your under there.

Make sure to fill that new filter.takes a while to do it!

You'll need a oil filter wrench if you don't have one for taken it off.
Also it will take maybe 3/4 fills of the oil filter to fill up,

Also only hand tighten the filter when going back on.

As above for every thing else

There's a few different types but I use a belt type that's works in a half inch wrench but you can use most types as the oil filter is easy to get at on them thank god, you want to the job it is to change the filter on a integrale, I still have the scares on my knuckles

You should try a Pajero Johnny... It's the size of s bucket and impossible to reach!! So hard to get a turn on it... I turned the air blue for bout an hour one Saturday trying to change it. No knuckles left... Pulled muscle in my neck.. And covered in dirty diesel oil! Never again!!

Like this type:

oilchange3.jpg

or this one:

oil_filter_wrench.jpg

Robbie I'd go for the first one there.
But get the smallest type as the Subaru oil filter is tiny.

The top of a pint glass is bigger than the oil filter, if you get me?
so make sure the tool is able to grip a small filter like a Subaru one :thumbsup:

Back