Headgasket replacement on Vw golf

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
Helping one of the girls today in work you was having some car issues, firstly very low on coolant, and oil, and lots of scummy oil/water build up under oil filler cap so i assume the head gasket is gone, anybody know how much it would costs to replace the headgasket on a 2000 1.6 golf petrol?

Very unusual for the h.gasket to go on a 1.6 golf!
Gunk on the oil cap is normal.the crank breather system on that engine is shite.
Can you tell me a bit more about it.
Why do you think the h.gasket is gone?

probley because of the gunk looking cream in the cap graham and the low coolant level i'd say :dontknow:

It's all common on them.in 14years fixing them Ive never replaced a head gasket on a 1.6 mk4 golf.
I'd guess if its not over heating, the coolant housing on the side of the head is leaking.
Low coolant and cream on the oil cap wouldn't automatically make me think head gasket failure :thumbsup:

More info please.

ye but your an expert and were only learning graham :icon_grin: thought the same myself on the mothers renault clio :thumbsup:

Ye so it seems like we jumped the gun thinking head gasket, lad work work said that first, seems like it can be caused by topping up with low quality oil or mixing grades etc, someone else said just do an oil change with the vw recommended stuff and all should be fine.

Put 10/40 oil in it. Don't go 5/30 on it!

If its loosing coolant and not overheating, pressure test it and check for leaks!
Maybe leaking at pump (hidden) or at coolant housing.

Doubt the h.gasket is gone.

Where is she based?

Back