Various problems

adez13

Hi,

I have a 2001 Subaru Impreza WRX UK model and I need help trying to figure out how much these repairs will cost and where near Donegal will be best to get them done.

My 2nd gear has just started to grind and I have my car parked up because of it. This is the one I'm most worried about. :icon_sad:

Rocker cover has a small oil leak but from what I hear this is common and is an expensive but not urgent fix.

Starter motor or alternator has a small voltage problem not sure exactly what's wrong but they are still working. But i think they are causing my engine light and airbag light to come on. :ponder2:

Then my track rod arm on the front right has just started to go but that shouldn't cause any trouble.

The cars just gone over the 100000 mile mark so if you could let me know of any problems to expect that would be great as well.

Thanks,

Andrew

2nd gear is likely a synchro, about €200 to get the box opened and synchros replaced then would be extra. 2nd hand box would probably be cheaper. Try replacing the gear oil, may make it a little better and you can decide just to put up with it or fix it.

Rocker covers are about €50 a side to replace.

Recon or second hand replacement of the starter motor. Not massively expensive, best to do it asap as if its not charging the battery, the car may just suddenly cut out.

Replace the track rod arm, not massively expensive and it will probably be cheaper than having to replace the tyre if it causes uneven wear.

Thanks for the info good to know it won't be insanely expensive to fix and my car will be perfect then. :icon_grin:

Seeing as it will probably be cheaper to get a second hand gearbox is there any merit in upgrading to a six speed? I've seen people talking about the conversion on a couple of forums but is there much improvement in performance or value?

Depends what you want out of the car, if going big power then a conversion would be needed as the 5 speeds aren't as strong. But it will cost you the guts of 3k all in which, if you put it to a trade in on you own would easily buy you an sti of the same year.

Back