Turbo Timers.

Prodrive

Sunday Drivers
Are turbo timers needed or not? If I drive last few miles easy will this suffice, and if I dont boost car on short runs can I switch engine off straight away? Will they work with toad alarm? Again its a year 2000, UK Turbo Sport Wagon GF8.

Just makes sure you don't switch off when turbo is red hot
But usually bye the time you switch off you have already cooled down
Still great to have
At least you don't have to worry as much :turbo:

I suppose your kinda recommending one then. It's in the back of my head as well so Turbo Timer it is then. Thanks :thumbsup:

i think they are not needed if you have some sense and dont roast it then switch off straight away thats all thats needed imo

as above. not needed.

also huge fire hazard danger if in an accident situation like a roll on roof or into ditch etc and cannot reach the timer to knock it of with a fuel ruptured and a hot exhuast. not good.

we advise take them out.

mind is wired through the handbrake so it has to be up before the timer will cut it . mabey its differant for other modles :dontknow:

[quote author=scoobysub link=topic=37367.msg428438#msg428438 date=1363873090]
mind is wired through the handbrake so it has to be up before the timer will cut it . mabey its differant for other modles :dontknow:
[/quote]

That's a good point for this subject!

If its wired in correctly it'll cut out once the handbrake is down!

not needed. unless you come off the racetrack and you urgently need a loo for whatever reason then no, you dont need them really. also agree, they can caus big problems too, and not worth the hassle. just take it handy for the last 2 miles and your fine. i certainly never left a car idle 60 second after fetching milk and i've NEVER blown a turbo/engine. if i did give it socks i took it handy the last miles or so, and let it idle till i fetched my phone/wallet/closed windows etc and by then its fine to switch off.

the guys that go to the shops and let their car idle for 2 min afterwards make me laugh.....

Many thanks lads, I was for buying one tomorrow, BUT, I've since changed my mind. I've certainly no plans for parking the car on it's roof and it's my absolute pride and joy so I don't want a burnt out wreck either. Cheers and hopefully this will help other members decide as well. :thumbsup:

^^^ better ways to spend money anyways than a turbo timer ha.
tis' a common enough debate still =)

Handy when you are late for work and can't sit in car for the minute or 2 to let if cool down.
Regards the roll over, crash, fire hazard thing. If wired correctly as said above they don't work with hand brake off... And the wiring is fairly basic to be fair..

It's horses for courses, you can 99% of the time work without them, but there is always the odd time they are handy

Mine works with alarm. Before I turn off car. I press Aux button. Car runs on for 30 sec.
If I don't press it. No turbo timer.

Back