Condensation in exhaust system or something worse

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
I noticed on the drive to work this morning a cloud of white smoke when going on full boost, it seemed more like condensation though, how long should it take of normal driving to get rid of any condensation out of the exhaust system or does it sound like something more serious? It was only a short drive to work in traffic, most of the way maybe 20 mins at most, ill keep an eye on it. Anyone seeing smilar in this kind of weather?

Re: Condensation in exhaust system of something worse

see it out of cars i do be behind but its never big enough to see out of my own car.it would be a fairly big cloud then dan :ponder:

yep i get it, i start the car and leave it running in the morning for around 10 minutes before i head out (neighbors love me :icon_grin:) my drive is around the same as yours a lot of stop/start driving tho and only when i get a good stretch i notice it going

I left it running for a few mins this morning aswell from the remote start, would that cause the condensation build up or just the car sitting up over night? I have a 3" full turbo back exhaust with dual exit so a lot of pipework for the condensation to be hiding in!

I'd say its a combination of both Dan, cool down in the evening will cause a bit to gather up and then warm up the next morning will just add to it

Check the coolant level, if its all right, there's nothing to worry about. :thumbsup:
The white smoke usually means water steam. If the coolant level is not going down, it will only be caused by the condensation in the exhaust. It's still cold outside these days. :thumbsup:

Coolant is fine, full to the brim, I thought it might be related to the turbo or some other seal and oil was being burned but oil levels are fine too. Hopefully just a load of condensation from the mad weather over the last few days!

I have same issue, but I've been told that its to do with the cold. With the warmer weather last week I hard virtually no steam from exhaust. I too was worried but I've noticed other cars with just as much steam from them in the cold mornings. I also have no issues with coolant level etc and car boosts fine.

Just hot air meeting cold air.... Like your breath... just not as toxic Dan :545:

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=37285.msg427149#msg427149 date=1363010578]
Coolant is fine, full to the brim, I thought it might be related to the turbo or some other seal and oil was being burned but oil levels are fine too. Hopefully just a load of condensation from the mad weather over the last few days!
[/quote]

the oil would have burned with a blue or black smoke !

Back