Tyres for 18inch Rims on 02 wrx

Evobully

Petrolheads
Hi everyone.What tyres would you recommend for an 18inch Ultraleggra rims on a 02 WRX with standard suspension. I ran F1's before and they where great but moneys a bit tight so I could do with some cheaper options. Are 215 45 18's the best size or would 225 45 18's help my rims survive the potholes. :lol:

Have ran a few different makes from say Nankang , pirelli , bfgoodrich and now federal on my current car ,

the bf's are overpriced ditch finders imo , stay well away , some people gave out about Nankangs on here before but i found them quite good , pirelli was expensive enough tyre but good , Federals im finding to be very grippy both in wet and dry conditions but noe especially cheap either ,
Cooper are a reasonable tyre for performance and price , they are made by Avon who make some great track tyres so they can be trusted , everyone on here will tell you a different experience with each tyre they have had though so its still trial and error , possibly look at a good set of part worns , i got a set of re050's for 150 fitted a few years back just to keep me going until i got my 18's under the car , tyres were perfect and still have life left in them , all down to your budget really

Thanks for all the info. I have run cars on Kumho before and they seem reasonable and I have had good reports about Federals as a good value tyre. I'm sorry I dont know what the wheel width and offset are the rims say 8JX18H2. Do I need to mesure and calculate the offset.
The car is on 215x45x18's at the moment. Do I really need to drop the aspect ratio down to 40 if I fit 225's for clearance then?
I think I would stick with 215's.

[quote author=Evobully link=topic=37273.msg427051#msg427051 date=1362923374]
Thanks for all the info. I have run cars on Kumho before and they seem reasonable and I have had good reports about Federals as a good value tyre. I'm sorry I dont know what the wheel width and offset are the rims say 8JX18H2. Do I need to mesure and calculate the offset.
The car is on 215x45x18's at the moment. Do I really need to drop the aspect ratio down to 40 if I fit 225's for clearance then?
I think I would stick with 215's.
[/quote]

the current tyre you are running is not the recommended size.

in fact 5% larger.

Back