Running in Engine

seanie

Anyone recommend a running in procedure and a running in oil for ej20.
I have always driven handy for 1000 miles gradually raising engine revs as mileage increases and used a mineral oil like 15w40 and then switch to synthetic/ semi synthetic after but that was on older engines. i have got conflicting advice some say break in easy others hard. any experience with good or bad results??

I recently ran in my starlet gt engine and the mechanic told me to run it in for 1500ks and dont go above 4k revs, he also completely turned the boost down. Was so boring breaking in the car but it will be worth it once its set up and running :icon_grin:

10w40, running in process could be different with a subaru as we have never needed an engine rebuilt in the subaru

any time i have ever done one i use the oil that it will be ran on for the rest of its life and put a 1000 miles on with only actuator pressure on the turbo and no high revs max 4000rpm and change the oil at 350 ,700 and then again at 1000 miles and put the actuator pipes back on the right way and away ya go

I've heard you are still supposed to run them in on mineral oils as they generate more heat and allow the pistons rings and things to bed in better. Good oils are so good that they don't allow the internals to bed in properly. Open to correction on that though.

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=36934.msg423530#msg423530 date=1360626287]
I've heard you are still supposed to run them in on mineral oils as they generate more heat and allow the pistons rings and things to bed in better. Good oils are so good that they don't allow the internals to bed in properly. Open to correction on that though.
[/quote]

That was always my understanding of it, run in on a low grade oil to allow bedding in of rings and upgrade oil after. has any done this with good or bad results?

Buy a cheap 10 w 40 semi
What you want to do is bed in the rings, You will need a tickle of boost to expand the rings fully, so the best way, is a bit of on off throttle, .4 or .5 bar of boost, and dont go above 4k revs for first 500 miles, change the oil, again with cheap 10w 40 and bring the revs up a bit more..
Your basically giving it little blasts in every gear, plenty of down changes and engine breaking aswell.
I would describe it as a quick run down a country road without going over .5 bar and 4k revs.

Some recomend running in or mineral oil, they are good for bedding in the rings, but you need some boost to push the rings to the cylinder walls....
Mineral or running in oil dont do much to protect your shell bearings, so Boost and this oil is really a bad idea,
A cheap 10/4o semi syntehic will allow you to bed the rings in, but still offer some protection on the Bearings..
There is only a smalL window to bed in the rings, some go as far as saying the first 20 mins of driving is where it happens.

Some lads change oil a load of times in the run in, but its a bit OTT. Change the oil at first 100 mile, again at 500 mile, and at 1k put in your good oil.

Make sure to crank the engine over untill you get oil pressure before it starts up, this can take a suprisingly lenght of time

30w mineral oil and varied revs for 200 miles

the first 20 mins is most important. so we do this on the ramp.

then change and semi 10/40 until 1000 miles

then change to choosen oil and map.

by above we need forestersti in for the advice

Back