Error codes on an older Subaru (pre OBD)

scrappydoo

Sunday Drivers
Wondering if anyone here can help with this issue. I'm trying to read an error code from my Vivio(94), using this guide;
http://www.troublecodes.net/Subaru/.

With the black plugs connected (read memory) I get repeated long flashes of the check engine light, I've counted the flashes to over 100 when I gave up.
With the green plugs connected (test mode), I get 2 short flashes.
As all codes listed are between 11 and 88, this is causing some confusion.

I have used this method successfully before to diagnose a problem with the distributor but can't remember if I used the black or green plugs. Anyone around with knowledge of the older cars who can tell me what i'm doing wrong? or is there a code 02 that's not listed on that site?

edit; maybe should have posted in tech Q&A, mods please move if possible/necessary.

we have the genuine main dealer select monitor 1 with vivio cartridge.

so can get right in.

let me know where you are based.

Hi Dave, I'm in Athboy but car is stuck here at the minute.

The problems I'm having are most likely with the transmission (ECVT). Grinding noise and loss of drive, feels like the belt is slipping.
I've changed the fluid and replaced the brushes on the powder clutch and was hoping an error code would show me what to look at next.

I'd like to get you to plug in to it if it would help diagnose this type of problem but I can't afford the cost of getting it transported up to you at the moment.

Roughly how much would a diagnosis set me back?
Do you know if the monitor can get data from the CVT control unit as well as the engine ecu?

Back