engine management light

DAVEB4

Sunday Drivers
hi guys i have a small prob & maybe ye can guide me i have a intermitting engine management light it comes on when driving but after a few mins it goes off again this happened a few times so just wondering have any of you had the same prob the car is driving perfect but i noticed when i put a small rev on it & hold it just over 1000 rpm it fluctuates slightly any ideas guys tnx

DAVEB4

put the car in diagnostic mode

look under the dash and you should see a mess of wires, have a root around and you should see two small black connectors the aren't connected.... conect them

then get up, turn on the ignition and count the flashes of the check engine light

first you will get long flashes and then sort ones

long= multiples of ten
sort = one

so 4 long then 2 short is a code 42

find the code and then post it up :thumbsup:

Could be a knock sensor.

Not sure if you can do as Goosie describes on a rev D but you should look anyway, it'll save you a trip to the mechanic :thumbsup:

What goosie said wont work on your car dave-but any decent diagnostic tool will work. I'm with rob-knock sensor

hey guys many tnx again for your time to help me i can get my hands on a diagnostic machine so i will put it on to see if it shows up so if it is a knock sensor where does a man get 1 also what is this rev d you mention sorry guys only new to subaru & slowly getting to know them tnx again

DAVEB4

got a friend to put diagnostic machine on & its comming up as speed censor is this the same as knock censor guys tnx

DAVEB4

B4 soon its all the symptoms of the knock censor looking on the net there is no probs with speedo at all but its comming up as speed censor on machine but i will double check it tomorrow

DAVEB4

i did put light out and it stayed out for a few miles then returned il double check it in the morn

DAVEB4

now guys i brought it back to put it on diagnostic machine again & located 2 faults

1 - P0500 driving speed sensor

2 -- P1507 idle speed control

has anybody any idea where i can locate these parts tnx

DAVEB4

hi baz good on ya mate i will take her from ya where abouts in the country are ya if your a bit far dwn i can send a postal order + courier cost to ya if this is ok pm me your number if you wish here is mine 0877727852 cheers mate

DAVEB4

Can you send me a picture of the throttle body just want to see if the rev d is the same as the one I have , should be.

There arent usually any symptoms with the speed sensor. Replace that first as it may be generating the second code because of it.

yes thats what they said to me replace the idle speed sensor first as this could be causing the other prob also is there somewhere on the net to show a diagram of these parts & where they go it would be very usefull tnx for your in put greatly appreciated

DAVEB4

Back