Reasons for low oil pressure

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
Today my oil pressure gauge was flashing at me at warm idle driving in heavy traffic to city center, everytime i stopped in traffic when at idle it would drop to 25 psi, fine while driving but would drop consistently everytime i stopped.

Reasons:
Dodgy oil pressure gauge/glitch wiring issues
low oil levels - check it the other day and it seemed fine, will check again, would this cause low pressure readings?
something more serious?

After it was parked up for an hour and i drove out to work it was fine and didnt drop below 34-35 psi on warm idle. Any ideas what would cause this, ill have a good look over things later and check all the wiring and that for the gauge hopefully its nothing major

Check gauge and sender and wiring first off. After that could be anything,oil pressure release valve, low oil level, pick up drawing air, unlikely it's engine wear if its intermittent.

Its an Innovate MTX-D gauge, seems ok now, wiring etc seems fine, ill keep an eye on it but its idling about 35-40 psi now. Probably just a glitch in the matrix!

[quote author=p1impreza link=topic=36883.msg423026#msg423026 date=1360172384]
mine usually ticks over at 2.4/5 bar when warm idle

as you said could be a glitch,but keep an eye
[/quote]

oil level is a bit low, checked in the dark last time so must have misread it. Ill top it up when i get home

Back