Boost Controller.

Prodrive

Sunday Drivers
Why do you need a boost controller? Do you have to have an electronic controller or is manual fine? I'm new to this tuning game and everytime I think I have all I need I get told "ah you also need one of these". :wall: I have components waiting to be bolted on but I am
reluctant to do mods yet until all in my head is clear. I have a few threads up already and I'm sure there will be many more so thanks for all the help and advice so far. :thumbsup:

well i have a manual boost controller in my foz because the actuator is not doing its job anymore. its set to 0.9 bar and its fairly juddery on boost. depends on your mods and car though... electronic ones are great, but expensive, and question is if you really need it at all. what car have you?

[quote author=Prodrive link=topic=36879.msg422914#msg422914 date=1360079718]
Why do you need a boost controller? Do you have to have an electronic controller or is manual fine? I'm new to this tuning game and everytime I think I have all I need I get told "ah you also need one of these". :wall: I have components waiting to be bolted on but I am
reluctant to do mods yet until all in my head is clear. I have a few threads up already and I'm sure there will be many more so thanks for all the help and advice so far. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

The best - choose your tuner, talk to him, tell him what do you expect and he will tell you what you need.
Not sure what car do you drive - but the most probably you rather don't need ebc.

If something is broken - neither mbc nor ebc is solution. It might be sometimes workaround - but isn't it better to fix an issue?

the only reason you need to fit a boost controller is because when you fit decat downpipe the boost rises earlier due to less back pressure in the exhaust system .the car was mapped at the factory to incorporate this boost rise with a full catted exhaust and not with a decat so the duty cycle of the boost pressure sensor doesnt catch it time and the boost will spike and sometimes hit boost cut which is the upper boost limit set in the ecu.the best option is to book it in for mapping and the day before stick all your parts on and get it mapped .if you are not mapping for a while put in an electronic boost controller to by pass the boost solenoid of the car and keeping it from hitting boost cut thats what i did with my first wagon and i drove it for 2yrs unmapped and no issues ,although now mapping is not badly priced so is a viable option rather than electronic boost controller

Don't think so cause changed it and one now reading the same 1.0 bar since I changed restrictor

Year 2000 UK Spec Wagon and am I correct in saying GC8 V5? Mods to be are Mongoose 3 inch turbo back exhaust, K&N Panel Filter, STI Intercooler, Walbro fuel pump, new fuel filter, and all new service parts. I cant wait to get these components on but I want to do it right once only.

He does rob, if he's not mapping as dec said above

What I meant was that he should get it mapped rather than fitting a boost controller. I would think with those mods, the fueling won't be quite right regardless of fitting a boost controller or not.

I've found out today that an ECU can control boost so aparently I don't need the boost controller.

The ecu will only control the boost if its mapped to account for the change in setup. The ecu can't account for the unexpected spikes caused by the reduction in back pressure when fitting a decat which is where the problem lies. The ecu will pull the boost down but only after its spiked high so its already too late at that stage.

Back