Suspension refresh

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
So i think its time to give a few suspension upgrades. Im currently on the standard B6 Bilstein shocks with sti pink springs. Two options i have been considering:

New B8 shortened Bilstein shocks with H+R springs
Bc Racing BR series coilovers

Now car is a daily driver but at the moment there is no comfort in the suspension, maybe one or two shocks are at the end of their life. The new Bilsteins will give it a fresh lease of life and let me lower it another few mm without sacrificing ride quality and should as improve the handling when driven on a bit due to the sportier dampening of the B8 shocks with the Progressive spring rate of the H+R springs.

On the other hand a lot of people say for the money that the BC coilovers are hard to beat but im not sure are they best option for daily driver. I did get a drive in Baz' wagon with the BC's and didnt notice any major discomfort with them so its a tough one. I guess the Bilsteins will last longer but then again the BC's can be repaired/replaced too i think, and provide that extra bit of adjustment and custom setup compared to the Bilsteins. What would Chuck Norris do?

I reckon Chuck would slap in a set of Konis, and cut the springs.

When faced with having to replace worn out shocks, i personally would go to the BC coilover, they are absolutly brilliant for the price range they are in.
Not sure how the Legacy stuff is priced, STI shocks are big money, so going to coilovers is a no brainer on them really.
I would not buy anything else only BC do Dan.

hopefully will have a set of bc's fitted this week ! like ken spec-c said bc seem to be the best for the money € 850

New bilstein shocks and springs = €920 + vat

Bc's are about €695 + vat

looking at the numbers Bc's seems like a good option!

agreed with the above the bc's seem to be great for all round value and are no way hard on the road,i'm driving on tein coilovers day to day and are great and the bc's would be a bit more comfortable win win i think man

what would be the best spring rate to go for, i think the legacy spec ones come with 6kg/8kg as standard

this might help ya dan taken from scoobynet
icking the right kit to meet your needs

Below are suggested spring rates:

Standard WRX ride quality: GC8 = 4/3, New Age 5/4. We can also do 4/3 for New Age if you want ultra comfy (all relative, its still not going to be like a boat). 4/3 feature the softest damping of all with a longer stroke to accomodate the extra travel the softer set up allows.

Fast road with some track work (default road going spec, eets most peoples needs): GC8 5/4, New Age 6/5

Harder core fast road with track work using stickier track rubber: GC8 6/5, New Age 6/5

More track focused cars or really hardcore road car driven only on smooth roads: GC8 8/6, New Age 8/6

You can also fully customise the kits to meet your needs. If you want anything outside the above then no problem. Want above standard ride height dirt spec with assister springs and ultra long travel to dial in a load of droop for your rally car, no problem. You want ultra low short stroke with a really stiff spring and damper set up to run wings and slicks, no problem. You tell us what you want, we will build it.

i was advised to get the 5/4kg combo rather than the 6/5kg if roads are a bit more bumpy !

[quote author=mac mac link=topic=36565.msg418849#msg418849 date=1357552987]
i was advised to get the 5/4kg combo rather than the 6/5kg if roads are a bit more bumpy !
[/quote]

5/4 is bang on

no not yet, havent found the spare cash!

New plan is

Stage 1:
Rear Whiteline ARB
Rear kartboy endlinks
Rear AVO re-enforcement mounts
Whiteline anti lift kit and front LCA bushings

stage 2:
BC racing coilovers

Thats a plan allright. Wheres the best prices you got for BC's in irl. Does 4kg back and front sound mad ?

[quote author=dutch link=topic=36565.msg434829#msg434829 date=1368438237]
Thats a plan allright. Wheres the best prices you got for BC's in irl. Does 4kg back and front sound mad ?
[/quote]

For the legacy not sure what comes standard spring rate wise , for the classic 5kg/mm in the front and 4kg/mm on the back which is what I have its quite good Dan has been in the car.

But you could go softer again 4kg in the front and 3kg in the back might make it more bearable, the dampening will have to be messed around with a bit though to get it right

Try'n to get a wrx bug sorted for the road. I was thinking 4kg back and front would iliminate understeer and i could allways go a couple of clicks on the front shocks. I could be a gobshite here but.....
Tanx for info lads.

Back