What's your experience with bad fuel...??

JAMIE-TYPERV6

Octane Boostaholics
Morning all,

I'm not 100% sure that the issue I'm having in the last 24hrs is down to bad fuel but it only seems to have reared it's ugly head since I filled up yesterday. I never run the tank down... the light rarely comes on... but I filled the car last night in my local Maxol near work as I do each week. I noticed when I pulled out onto the M50 heading home that it had a slight hesitation when accelerated with ease!

When I'm cruising along at 100-120... engine under load... and not really on boost.... I can feel what can only be described as a 'hunting' affect... it's like someone is rhythmical and very lightly pressing the brake pedal to the point where I'm actually mildly rocking back in forth while driving which is driving my a little bats... it also does it when you accelerate lightly... if you gun it... it isn't as noticeable! :ponder2:

The car is bog stock... walbro pump and nothing else worth mentioning. I know it could be a multitude of things but I was curious if anyones has had any experiences with bad fuel and if so what the affects of it was. :dontknow:

If it is bad fuel... what's my come back with the garage... how do you proove it... and how do I get the fecking 70 odds euros I put in the car back off them! :wall:

Cheers for an advice you might be able to offer me,

Jamie.

Funny, i was having similar enough problems till i used maxol e5, had used the same station for a couple of years but last couple of fills had the car running shite but the improvement with e5 is amazing...i threw some dipetane in as well just to clean the system, might be worth trying that as well

I'd normally fill up with the pump nearest the shop which is marked E5... the forecourt was quite busy yesterday though and used another pump marked E5 closer to the road though which I've never used. I didn't think anything of it as I assume that the pumps are all attached to the one main tank. Maybe that was the issue and the pump isn't actually E5....?? I've filled up before though with regular 95 ron before though when I can't get E5 and never had this issue.

had the same problem in a few cars with the maxol here too. was talking to a mechanic about it he said they're mixing in ethanol wrong.
my 200sx ran shite on maxol fuel, the fozzy hates it too and looses power and driveability. bf's leggy hates it too, even the diesel isnt great anymore.
i steer WAY clear of maxols from now on, and generally stations that arent busy as their fuel is old and tanks dirty.

best atm are busy applegreens from my experience.

Cheers for the link Niall! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I've just shy of 40 litres in the tank... and I can't siphon it out as I'd need to put 2 large jerry cans to put it in first. I also think there is an anti-siphon valve on the filler pipe on them. I'll just have to drive it handy... run it down... and re-fill ASAP. :wall:

In fairness... I've never had any problems with E5 or Maxol... but if it is bad fuel I'll be kicking up stink... waste of time I'm sure but worth a shot! :angry1:

no its recent enough that their fuel is gone tits up. in ennis it used to be the best fuel, and from day to the next it went arse!!
dunno what happened... i've 4 cars there that all went bad with it. so its defo the fuel. dunno if thats all maxols of course, but
just going by the one here in ennis i wouldnt get maxol fuel anymore, out of principle i guess lol.

some symptoms;
stutter, hesitation on boost/higher rpm, lack of power, smoke with the diesels...

filled up the fozz with applegreen and boom, back to normal with no issues (after about 20 miles)

Unfortunately I've just shy of 40 litres in the tank... and I can't siphon it out as I'd need to put 2 large jerry cans to put it in first. I also think there is an anti-siphon valve on the filler pipe on them. I'll just have to drive it handy... run it down... and re-fill ASAP. :wall:

You wont have much left in the tank by the time you drive to baltinglass and back !! :icon_grin:

Just run the car with the return pipe pulled off , run a long piece of hose off the steel pipes at inlet mani out into a jerry can, and run her untill she runs out of fuel.... it wont take long :)

Try her with some fresh fuel then..

I sit on the fence a bit when it comes to bad fuel here and there, as i have put my fair share of fuel in cars over the years and i can honestly say i have never encounterd it,
I do know of an RX7 that couldnt be got going and it ended up it was water in the fuel, fuel was got in a local Petrol station that is beside a river and there had been a lot of rain and it made its way into the Storage tank, a few cars were the same at same time, buts that the only Concrete story i have ever heard about bad fuel.

I would find it hard to beleive the Maxol mixing the Ethonal wrongly story,
the quantities that this would be done in would be fully automated and moniterd, not some lad out the back with a 5 gallon drum, jug and a funnel :)

Think it was all just a coincidence Ken tbh!! Gonna swap MAF from type r into it this evening as it was behaving differently on the way home this evening and feels more like a mixed signal from a sensor.

Jamie I had a similar problem on my 520d , there was a horrible hesitation coming off accelleration at motorway speeds, turned out to be the Map sensor, switched it out and all was well. I had changed out MAF, removed swirl flaps and cursed the f@€kin enigine from a height before it was suggested to try the MAP and it worked a treat.

My 2008 pajero pumps out smoke when it hits 2000rpm to 2500rpm and doing it a long time and have an account with maxol and get all my diesel with them
A month ago I was working in Longford and full in texaco not a puff of smoke for full tank but next fill was in maxol and back to smokey jeep
What he are saying is making a lot of sense

Back