headlight problem

Random Rs

Sunday Drivers
as above, iv a problem with the headlights in my wagon,

iv tried searching if it was covered before but i cant seem to find anything

basically, when i turn my lights on full the high beams stay on, even when clicking it to the dip beams. when you psuh the lever forward to high beam you can see that the dip beam element is still lightting too......

iv checked relays and both seem ok, the lights were perfect last night just today they seem to have gone like this

i dont know if it would have affected the lights but i was putting gauges in today and tipped the power to them off the back of my radio (schoolboy error i know) it blew a fuse but i replaced it and all was good, i hadnt tried the lights before this so dont know if that has anything to do with it......

head is wrecked as cant really drive anywhere cos id be dazzling everyone as i cant dip, and i can drive these roads on sidelights

sounds like either a relay sticking or a switch faulty man .if you only turn the switch to the park light position and flash the main beams do they flash

[quote author=WAGON DEC link=topic=36528.msg418303#msg418303 date=1357074675]
sounds like either a relay sticking or a switch faulty man .if you only turn the switch to the park light position and flash the main beams do they flash
[/quote]

they flash yeah.... i turned them on and removed the relays but the light comes on very very dimly on fullbeam but not there on dip put the relays back in and its still the same the high beam stays on all the time

[quote author=WAGON DEC link=topic=36528.msg418312#msg418312 date=1357075733]
i wonder is the connections on the lamps ok what year is the car
[/quote]

its a 96 wrx

i took the connections off and removed the bulbs to see if they had fused ( was told it may have happened never heard of it before myself) and replaced them back in and still the same

it can happen not that common though i think if ya can try a switch in it you could rule it out after that you are lookin at a deeper wiring issue id say

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=36528.msg418327#msg418327 date=1357096318]
Something to do with the rsm maybe?
[/quote]

wouldn't think so bad the rsm has been on for a few weeks now and no problem, iv also had the gauges in for 2days beforehand and wired into the power I'll go through the relays and other fuses to see if there's a problem there....

[quote author=Random Rs link=topic=36528.msg418345#msg418345 date=1357129165]
[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=36528.msg418327#msg418327 date=1357096318]
Something to do with the rsm maybe?
[/quote]

wouldn't think so bad the rsm has been on for a few weeks now and no problem, iv also had the gauges in for 2days beforehand and wired into the power I'll go through the relays and other fuses to see if there's a problem there....
[/quote]
I was taking the piss man ha

sorry baz took it up wrong dude :thumbsup:

anyway this problem is still there, although the other day i was out at it wiring in the boost gauge power and all of a sudden the lights were working normally, then i shut the cr down and started up and the lights were acting up again..... iv checked the relays in the fuse box in the engine bay on another car and they were working fine, is there another relay in the car that i cant find?? all fuses are ok i even changed the bulbs to rule out those as a fault, and theyre ok. only thing left is to try the switch off another car which im hoping to do tomoro but could that be a fault?? everything else on the stalk works a ok, it will flick from dip to mains and flash and indicate just i cant seem to get the main beams off my head is wrecked at this stage.....

well i got it sorted....kinda

ended up looking at a few classics in scrappies but the connections were wrong

was gonna just wire in a switch but i ended up going and just switching the wires into the bulb connections...... so now i have my low beams on so i can drive without blinding people, but when i flick to high beams the dips stay on too but at least itll be ok for now, until i get a correct stalk and fit it to see if it is actually that.

now just to sort my boost issue...... :angry1: :angry1:

Back