Oil pressure/temp ranges

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
Just trying to setup my new Innovate MTXD oil temp/pressure gauge. You can program it to alert on low or high pressure and set low temp and high oil temp warning leds.

Can anyone let me know:

Temp oil should be at before you start giving it full boost
Pressure oil should be at before you drive it hard?
low pressure you dont want to see
High pressure you dont want to see
Max oil temp you want to get near before its time to slow down?

I just want to make sure i set it up properly. Would different grades of oil affect the temp and pressure readings?

Drive the car easy for 20mins (or until the temperatures stabilise), this will tell you what temp and pressure to wait for until you give it full boost.

Temps and pressures will depend on the weight and the quality of oil you use. Better quality oil will keep the temps down lower. Above 110 with sustained hard driving would be time to slow down but you won't get anywhere near there unless on track for a sustained period.

High and low warning points, I would say about 1bar fluctuation would be normal when changing gear, etc. Possibly more or less but someone else may know a bit better.

20 mins? i would be already in work at that point! its more or less warmed up within 10 according to the new gauge. oil pressure seems to be about 2.3 bar at the lowest after warm idle and about 6 bar under normal driving.

on my depo gauges,(defis to be fitted)

oil temp never gets going til after 20min and will rise to 70/80
oil pressure on cold tick overs at 6.5 bar and will drop to 2.4/5 bar when up to temp(tickover)
will usually see 6.5 when driving

if you see over 110 on oil temp your in danger so let it cool
oil pressure you dont want less than 2bar

hope it helps

[quote author=p1impreza link=topic=36503.msg418358#msg418358 date=1357139708]
on my depo gauges,(defis to be fitted)

oil temp never gets going til after 20min and will rise to 70/80
oil pressure on cold tick overs at 6.5 bar and will drop to 2.4/5 bar when up to temp(tickover)
will usually see 6.5 when driving

if you see over 110 on oil temp your in danger so let it cool
oil pressure you dont want less than 2bar

hope it helps
[/quote]

Sounds similar to mine so, although it doesnt take the 20 minutes for the oil to get up to temp. What grade are you using? im using millers cfs 10w40 in mine at the minute.

Back