whineing noise???

Blain

Middle Lane Hogs
alrite lads, yesterday I heard this kind of whineing noise when the legacy was ticking over, I took it for a good spin and it went away but it came back again last night and today,Now its there all the time...

I had a check it seems to be coming from under the plastic cover with boxer twin turbo on it, My best guess is that its from where the belts are spinning think they are the altenator belts on the round pullys?or the pullys themselves? Is this a commen problem?? any guesses as to what it could be?

[quote author=Blain link=topic=36418.msg417064#msg417064 date=1355511459]
alrite lads, yesterday I heard this kind of whineing noise when the legacy was ticking over, I took it for a good spin and it went away but it came back again last night and today,Now its there all the time...

I had a check it seems to be coming from under the plastic cover with boxer twin turbo on it, My best guess is that its from where the belts are spinning think they are the altenator belts on the round pullys?or the pullys themselves? Is this a commen problem?? any guesses as to what it could be?
[/quote]

If is the belts its usually when cold and is a squealing more than as you describe a whining . Could be an altenator or power steering pump bearing . Change the 2 belts and see how you get , should only cost €20-30 to do it yourself. Other think it could be is a timing belt pully bearing starting to make noise and you cant really ignore this .Maybe stick up a vid and one of the lads might recognise the sound

I wonder if it cud be the alternator itself, when the engine warms up a bit it starts to make a slight crackling noise , A mx6 mazda i had before had a similar issue, i changed the pullys and all as the mechanic said and it turned out that my alternator bearing was fucked!!! Wating on this video to upload on youtube will be another ten mins!

Could be a.c. Tensioner. The bearings went in my one and it made a whining noise from that area

As said could be altenator or ac pulley . When your collecting the wind deflectors we can change them over and see what the craic is ?

Had the same issue, dropped the wife off at her mothers, went for a spin.... problem gone

Picked her up again on way home, problem returned

Parked up.... went inside, can still hear same noise!!!

Getting a headache now....... lol

Baz where about's in Dublin are you, Ill probely be headin up sometime next week, are you far from blancherstown ? you know the right side just under the plastic cover on the engine there's a large pulley and directly underneath theres a smaller one,well i'm nearly sure its the bigger pulley that is whining and crackling!!! will this problem be costly and time consuming to fix???

I can meet you in Blanchardstown no problem not far from it, So you think it the a/c pump?

Back