Advice needed

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
im am in the middle of install new front mount and since i have the vf36 in my i had to originally clock the compressor housing to make it work with the legacy style tmic. Now since i need to put it back to standard orientation there is a metal coolant pipe in the way on the right side of the turbo that i need to remove temporarily and refit. Unfortunately i started loosing the two 17mm bolts that hold it on and coolant start pissing out. Do i need to drain all the coolant out or is there only a bit that is in the pipework there and i should just top it up when done? if its only a bit of coolant that will come out of here ill let it drain out and worry about it afterwards. Also this might sound stupid but is the coolant flammable at all as im sure some has splashed onto the turbo, i dont want to see a ball of flames coming at me when the turbo warms up!

Cheers

Dan

coolant will probably drain out till the level of the pipe depending how low it is . no coolant is in no way flammable :thumbsup: dan

Just fill her back up Dan, leave her tick over and just make sure you have heaters working and keep an eye on the gauge, she shouldnt be bad with air

cheers lads it was a long day, only got it back together now and still need to fit bumper back on which requires a bit more trimming too. There was air bubbles coming out as i was topping up from the coolant reservoir, so i let it settle and kept topping up still it stayed full, then a bit into the rad cap filler aswell and they both seem fairly full now, lots of coolant burning off when i started it up so it will take a few runs to runs to get rid of that i guess.

The bolts that connect the coolant pipe onto the turbo have a hole through the middle of them, i tightened them down as far as they would go, there is no indication that they aligned with the flow of the pipe so i guess if they are fully tightened they will be grand?

Also the fmic came with a replacement coolant overflow tank, can this be mounted higher than the original position or it must be at same level or below?

getting there:
IMG_20121209_160942.jpg

Looks well.Overflow tank is attached to the rad there to the right hand side, Are you talking about the header tank? This is the highest point of the system so same level or higher :thumbsup:

no you probably cant see it there, but you can make out the standard on to the right of the sti rad cap, thats just hanging there it needs to be relocated since the intercooler pipe work is sitting there no so the kit came with as smaller aluminium overflow bottle, so im just curious will the height i wont it at affect its operation? in standard form header tank is above the overflow tank on mine

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=36384.msg416644#msg416644 date=1355074320]
no you probably cant see it there, but you can make out the standard on to the right of the sti rad cap, thats just hanging there it needs to be relocated since the intercooler pipe work is sitting there no so the kit came with as smaller aluminium overflow bottle, so im just curious will the height i wont it at affect its operation? in standard form header tank is above the overflow tank on mine
[/quote]

Sorry I get you now I could see the header tank the first time I looked. Over flow should really be around the same height as the factory one imo, is there no instructions with the kit?

yes but its for a US legacy and they some weird external air pump whereas the jap ones dont. it shows where they mount it but i aint got that mounting point! ill have another go at it tomorrow, or else make up a bracket

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=36384.msg416646#msg416646 date=1355075621]
yes but its for a US legacy and they some weird external air pump whereas the jap ones dont. it shows where they mount it but i aint got that mounting point! ill have another go at it tomorrow, or else make up a bracket
[/quote]

Yeah make a bracket for it and mount in that position (air pump I think is for emissions purposes on the US model, like the rx7)
Or maybe send me a picture of where it mounts I might have a bracket that may suit or can be modified to suit

Be carefull of those Mikalor clamps on the pipe at battery that they dont damage bonnet and be carefull of the pipe not hitting the Positive terminal on battery when you close bonnet

[quote author=KENC link=topic=36384.msg416657#msg416657 date=1355079288]
Be carefull of those Mikalor clamps on the pipe at battery that they dont damage bonnet and be carefull of the pipe not hitting the Positive terminal on battery when you close bonnet
[/quote]

ill be tidying things up tomorrow ken and reworking the orentation of some of those clamps. piping doesnt interfere with the bonnet when it closes

this is the best i could do with what i had for the coolant overflow tank, its sitting about 2 inches higher than the factory plastic one did

IMG_20121209_191442.jpg

IMG_20121209_191426.jpg

that oem bracket with captive nut just under dipstick in pic 1, how about coming out off that with a long L bracket, that should drop you down a bit

Back