Newbie with some questions

cosworth 1

Hi all.

New to this site and to Subarus, have had some cosworths over the years but cant justify the cost of them anymore. Was thinking of looking at a 2001 Bugeye WRX over the weekend, i rang the guy and there are some issues with the car. First off it needs a clutch, he says its fairly bad and slips when coming on boost so how much would one of these cost to supply and fit? Secondly he says there is a light on the dash because there is no sensor in the after market exaust he put on so would have to get original one with sensor to put out the light, i presume its a lambda sensor!!. Thirdly he says there are some scraches and scuffs around the car, i dont know how bad they are.
How much would you say this car is worth and is it worth going near it in the first place. Who in dublin would you recomend to do the clutch in it?

Thanks,

Declan.

Welcome to the site Declan, is there a for sale add to the car you are looking for if so try put up a link someone on here might know the car and will help you out if they can :thumbsup:

Needs clutch etc I'd say he just wrecked the car now can't keep up wit maintenance costs,I'd Stearns clear IMO

Asking price is way too high for the year and needing all that work done..ud b better saving up a bit more and get a clean wrx or sti

Welcome along :subaru:

Clutch is going to be €600 fitted minimum. The car needs to be remapped really if its decatted this will remove the check engine light and get the most from the exhaust .So depending on who you get to map it it will be €350+

If your not willing to spend that maybe look at another car

Hope that helps

Welcome along Declan ,

its easy to fall in love with the look of a car and land yourself in a mountain of bills if it hasnt been maintained , looks to me like there is better examples out there both mechanically and body wise , you will see alot of hacked cars before finding the right one , happy hunting !

You would be better off buying one with everything done to it
just get in and turn the key
the right car will come along
my advice would be to buy a club car
that people know the background off
nice sti bugeye in the for sale section on here may be to dear for you but looks a super version
are you just going for a wrx ?
if you plan to modify it then it is far cheaper to start with a STi
Good luck with your search
and don't be afraid to post cars up in this thread your are looking at and members can maybe give you some advice :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the advice lads, much apprieciated. Problem is that i dont want to spend too much and i know you get what you pay for. I tought i might go in with a cheeky bid of 2k on this and if not accepted then ill just walk away. Would prefer a Blob version to be honest, maybe ill hang on for a while.

welcome along :thumbsup: as has being said don't go rushing in buying the first car you see . better off getting a car that has being looked after other wise it turn into a money pit :thumbsup:

Welcome along Declan. :thumbsup:

As mentioned above... I'd hold tight and wait to see if a cleaner car comes along. By the sounds of it.. that car hasn't been minded all that well. Fair enough it does have the sort of mileage on it whereby if it's the original clutch from the factory then it's probably due. But the de-cat and bodywork issues sounds as if the current owner hasn't pampered the car like so many members on here would their own. There could be further hidden big bills even taking into account the work already needed and it's very disheartening to have to keep throwing money at a car you've just bought when all you want to do is just get into it and drive it. That car is... mileage wise... not far off a timing belt if not already done... and that will set you back at minimum 600 euro too. If he does claim it's been done... make sure he's receipts that show the belt, tensioners and guides listed.... as a belt alone without new tensioners and guides is a waste of money as the bearings can collapse and damage the new belt.

It's a false ecomony with Subarus to buy cheap... and the old expression you get what you pay for.. with Subarus is never a good thing. Hold off and save a little more if needed and buy a cleaner and possibly newer example.

If it's also not going to be a daily runner... or your minted :icon_biggrin:... then by an STI. The running costs are seriously outweighed by the performance they deliver over a WRX and are a better place to start if you plan on doing some modding!

Thanks for the replies folks. I know the story with money pits, i have owned numerous cosworths and believe me when i say i know. Its good to get opinnions from folk who know their stuff and i will hold off on this car ( still tempted to go have a look :lol:). It wont be a daily runner, just a toy really so is a wrx the best choice or a STI. I wont be modding the thing just driving it when i feel like a blast. Seen a nice Sti ra version 6 wrc on DD, any coments on this car, is the price too high or is it right.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4215316

Thanks.

If its a toy, then sti all the way.

The RA would be worth it if clean but i would have my doubts about it. Just one look and there's a P1 splitter, why would anyone replace the standard splitter on them, would have been crazy to do it for the sake of it imo.

Don't think the type ra comes with a front lip, only the type r's do,

That one there has the side skirts and rear spats added to but I would prefer them standard.

If I were you and it was only a weekend toy it would have to be a 2 door type r Sti,

V6 4dr STI defo comes with a lip as standard, i cant say if the Vlimited 4dr comes with it but i would think it does, as i thought all v6 cars got the v6 lip as standard, that and the different rear spoiler.

Back