Some oil questions

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
So i due an oil change in about 1000kms. Currently on the Motul Chrono 300v 10w40. as you all know is pricey stuff. there is a lot of other ester based oils recommended by Opie Oils which seem like the go to crowd for decent oils. He recommended Millers Oils CFS 10w-40, or Gulf Competition, as a cheaper alternative and is just as good as the Motul. Anyone use this? Also do many of you switch to a thinner oil for the colder months such as a 5w-40 as it has better cold start protection, or is it best to stick with the same grade all year around?

Motul costs about 90 quid per oil change, Millers about 55 for the millers and 47 for the Gulf competition. all ester oils so im just curious if anyone uses them.

I'm using millers 10w 60 CFS at the minute , I can get it for €40 from southside motor factors as I know the lads in there . Motul is great but too expensive for me at the minute too. I was using the miller over at the nurburgring and was great.

So works out at €50 for an oil change rather than €90-100

If you want me to pick you up some I will only 10 mins away from me

i have had a few people recommend the millers, ideally something i can just pick up easily rather than having to order it in or buy online would be best. Do they stock the CFS fully synthetic stuff in southside?

I use Mobil 1 10w60 long life motorsport or some such jargan, was reccomend to me by a engine builder, easy to get too from halfords

Offer dependent it's €50-60 for 5L

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=36242.msg415082#msg415082 date=1353507005]
i have had a few people recommend the millers, ideally something i can just pick up easily rather than having to order it in or buy online would be best. Do they stock the CFS fully synthetic stuff in southside?
[/quote]
As I said that's what I use and they always stock it

Dan,why dont you give Michal (intrex) a shot, he is close to you, will meet you, and i couldnt beat him for a price on Motul, he always has discounts aswell.

i got stuff from him before and was looking for 31 euro per 2L can. i was getting it cheaper than that from my mechanic, but still its an expensive oil. I got 10L of Miller CFS 10w40 today for 80 euro so i think ill switch to that, it was recommended to me by Opie oils as on oil on par with the Motul and Joe power also recommend it. Motul isnt really worth the premium i think

I got it cheaper than that off him, i think it was around 80 for the 3 tins of motul. Anyway your heart seems set on Millers :)

Wouldn't use anything other than motul myself, have used it since 2007 and just shy of 100k plus trackdays and plenty of hard driving, might be premium price but its premium quality stuff imho.

Millers CFS is the same top of the range quality as Motul.
Motul is based on double-esther extracts
Millers CFS is a triple-esther based oil.

Can't go wrong with any of them.. I prefer Motul as it smells nice :icon_grin:
:thumbsup:

[quote author=Codders link=topic=36242.msg415438#msg415438 date=1353927390]
Millers CFS is the same top of the range quality as Motul.
Motul is based on double-esther extracts
Millers CFS is a triple-esther based oil.

Can't go wrong with any of them.. I prefer Motul as it smells nice :icon_grin:
:thumbsup:
[/quote]

I must remember to consider the smell of oil being used next time, as thats the most critical aspect when searching for decent oils!

It was a joke man. why so serious?

I'm using Motul because that's what has been recommended for tuned Subaru engines, obviously not because of the smell of it lol.

Still it smells nice :p

[quote author=Codders link=topic=36242.msg415460#msg415460 date=1353938979]
It was a joke man. why so serious?

I'm using Motul because that's what has been recommended for tuned Subaru engines, obviously not because of the smell of it lol.

Still it smells nice :p
[/quote]

I knew it was a joke! if we start getting to a point where they start selling scented oils then you know its game over! time to get out the Yankee candle air fresheners while were at it!

Sorry I must have misread your expression, :p

aye I'm not too keen of the colour of Motul though, I've been using Fuchs Silkolene which was a nice reddish colour, looked like a tasty lemonade but it didn't smell as nice. :icon_grin:

so your tasting and smell them then eh! you should do oil reviews for halfords or something. "slight charcoal scent with a delighful ester after taste"!

Back