If you had a choice......

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
If you had a choice of car lift to buy and use, what style would you choose and why. 2 post, 4 post, scissors lift etc.

Want to build a garage and stick a 2 post in there. More room to move about the car compared to a 4 post and more room to move under the car compared to a scissor lift. But I'm sure some of the mechanic lads will advise you better.

Did google agree to put one in for you?

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=36140.msg414074#msg414074 date=1352482523]

Did google agree to put one in for you?
[/quote]

Yep :)

I put the scissors type in my garage at home.
It is completely flush with the ground so when it's not in use you wouldn't
Even know its there.
I was tight for space with the planning so I wanted as much space as I could get.

There is very few jobs you can't do on a scissors lift. I use one in work too and never have to move off it for different types of work.

Two posters bug me and four are just pure sh1te. Four poster makes it hard to remove an under tray let alone removing an engine.limited space always. Only good for brief inspections and alignment.

The two poster bugs me due to not being able to open car doors when in use or not.
There will always be two big posts in your way!

It's a personal choice I guess and if you have a massive workshop maybe the two post is for you.
If its a small workshop it won't take long to fill up and those two posts will
Be in your way 24/7.

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=36140.msg414076#msg414076 date=1352482868]
Fook sake, I'm definitely working for the wrong crowd. Looking for any engineers? :icon_razz:
[/quote]

Always looking for engineers with the right background!

@John, private use only, cant be letting any non-employees use it due to insurance liabilities

@Grahamo: its not s huge area we have to put it in and need to leave lots of room either side of access and egress, one of the guys recommended the scissors lifts for most of the reasons you mentioned too. i personally would feel a scissors lift would be a bit more secure too from a safety point of view? Once when flat its pretty low that a cherry picker can also park up on it i think the scissors lift might be a better option.
What work can't you do on a scissors lift you could do on a 2 post?

I got my garage floor reinforced with steel where the box section cut out was to fit the lift into.
So it just disappears Into the ground and is level with the rest of the floor when fully down.

Removing a fuel tank would be a no go on one.
Ill think a few more and post them.

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=36140.msg414092#msg414092 date=1352490877]
[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=36140.msg414076#msg414076 date=1352482868]
Fook sake, I'm definitely working for the wrong crowd. Looking for any engineers? :icon_razz:
[/quote]

Always looking for engineers with the right background!
[/quote]

Not me so, ha ha. Assume google wouldnt have any use for mechanical project engineers :icon_sad:

I use the second type in work myself.
It has no problem lifting touraeg's or transporter vans.

You could only do general service work though on those vehicles on that lift.
A clutch would be a no no.

The only thing I don't like about that lift is the moveable end pieces.
In my old job I had a similar lift and at both ends you could extend/slide the extra part of the lift
Out to use on longer wheel base vehicles. So when not needed for a shorter wheel base vehicle it was out of the way. Those end pieces that hang down on my lift in work and the 2nd above are a pain.
They restrict you working under the vehicle.
Banged my head off them I don't know how many times!!

Very good lifts by maha but can be expensive......

2 POST all day long...

Now.. the bigger question, WTF does Google want with a car lift or how did you talk them into that one Dan

Why would you go for a 2 post Ken?

We just built a datacenter that cost well over 50 million, the price of a car lift in the scale of things is peanuts. one of the employee perks! A lot of the big sites in US have them so a few lads were interested in getting one so i made it happen, probably get some other tools etc to make a nice little workshop, compressor, gearbox cradle etc. I call them lifting aids and they are all about safety first in Google! There is a lot of car nuts in the engineering side of Google one of the VP's of engineering is a total car nut:

Education-sml.jpg

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1079028_google-exec-presented-with-special-ferrari-599xx-evo-at-monza

I think he has a veyron now aswell!

He would have no problems approving these few pieces of equipment. When he was over at the officail opening of the new place he actually admired my legacy and was wondering how i got it imported from Japan etc,next to impossible to get a jdm car registered and rood legal in US so he was a little bit jealous!

if it was me i wouldnt let anything only a scissor lift into the place im at the trade for 20 years now and the workshop im in was renovated bout 5 years ago and the installed three scissor lifts i always use them over the 2 post or 4 post they are far better to use and also dont take up any space when down

The 2 post lift Dan is the absolute best option for access to everything, as its only touching/covering 4 points of the under side of the car, the oe jack points which are in the way of nothing.
Every other type of lift i have ever used are good for say 80% of jobs but the 2 post does 100%.

4 post lift and you have full access underneath at the sacrifice of having to jack the car to get wheels off and you have 4 post and 2 ramps taking up space

Scissor lifts are only really of any use for a Tyre fitting garage, good for anything in the wheel area, brakes, suspension, etc etc. See them in body shops aswell.

2 Post does everything.. simples :)

dont agree at all with ya ken i have done every job that needs to be done on every thing from a mini to a transit and everything in between and never had any issue with using a scissor lift

Dec would you use the scissors lifts to drop a box out of a scooby or rwd car?

ye no problem have done a gearbox in an rs4 audi also and no issues ,gearbox in front and rear wheel drive transits, engine in a renault traffic i have never had an issue with a scissor lift it just needs to be a good quality one and fitted properly

That seems awkward to me tbh, for access to prop shaft, carrier bearing, Exhaust, and taking the gearbox back and out, no way is a scissor lift as user friendly as a 2 post. Your a gluten for hardship :)

not at all ken when they were installing them in our workshop we brought in a ka the smallest ford and measured between the sills and kept the base plates of the lift out as far as we could so under neath there is loads of room so it not a problem and the lifts were 3500 euro each so like i said a good quality lift fitted properly and you dont have issues but some lads like 2posts some like 4 posts its a personal preference each to there own and all that :thumbsup:

Back