rev limit 4000 rpm help

K

kiwi

alright lads driving back from dublin sunday night when looked down to see that speedo was not working
and at the same time saw that check eng light was on as wELL,took it easy all the way home started it next
day and it was stil the same then on the way to work found that revs out at 4000 rmp ANY IDEAS LADS PLEASE HELP

Speed sensor is fooked its in the gearbox and dont even bother with subaru as they dont have a part number :angry:
I have the same prob at the moment got a used one from the uk tryed up north but they had none
Also the loom that plugs into the sensor could be fooked

As Keith said its limp mode,safety feature on them,you can go into the diagnostics and check it out yourself,
Under the dash is 2 green plugs,2 black plugs..if you connect green to green,black to black..swich on the ingnition(dont start)the check engine light will flash at intervals,you will see long flash,then short flashes of the engine light...with me so far...the long flash is considered a 10...the short flash is considered a 1...therefore...2 long fashes,3 short flashes=23 which is your MAF SENSOR error reading...if i remember correct..(iam not saying its your MAF)...but thats how you can check your own codes...ill have a look and dig out the engine fault codes for ya and post them up...if ya want..
Oh yeah when finished turn off ignition un-plug all connected..
Or just take it to subaru for them to run diagnostics... :thumbsup:

ECU Diagnostics :
The ECU can diagnose any fault that may arise due to abnormal signals that are sent to the controller.
The ECU Check Engine Light (CEL) will illuminate in the instrument console if there is a problem with any of the computers inputs.
It is possible to find which sensor is faulty by following these steps:

· Turn ignition OFF.
· Connect read memory connectors. These are the small black connectors under the steering column above the pedals.
· Turn ignition key to the ON position (Engine OFF)
· Engine Check Light turns on
· Code is indicated by Pulsing light - See below
· If Code is OK Turn ignition OFF disconnect the black connectors
· If CEL returns a number of different pulsing lights then check the ECU code table.
· Turn ignition to the OFF position. Disconnect the black connectors.
· If there is a fault, then check the appropriate sensor.
The ECU codes are displayed as pulses of the CEL. If CEL goes out there is no fault.
In Diagnostic Mode – No Fault is indicated by the CEL continuously & evenly flashing on/off (this is also used to indicate the successful completion of an ECU Reset) SEE "OK code" in diagram below.
The long pulses (1.3 Seconds) indicate Tens and the short pulses (0.2 Seconds) indicate ones. Pulses are separated by Short Pauses (0.2 Seconds), multiple codes are separated by a Long Pause (1.8 Seconds) SEE "Trouble codes" in diagram & examples below.
The simplest way for an inexperienced mechanic to retrieve codes is to write the codes down in a sort of Morse Code (dots and dashes), and start a new line when you get a 1.8 Second pause (for NEW code), and then add the actual numbers up after code retrieval is completed.

Code ITEM
11 Crankshaft position sensor
12 Starter switch
13 Camshaft position sensor
21 Engine coolant temperature sensor
22 Knock sensor
23 Mass air flow sensor
24 Idle air control solenoid
31 Throttle position sensor
32 Oxygen sensor
33 Vehicle speed sensor 2
35 Purge control solenoid valve
42 Idle switch
44 Wastegate control solenoid valve
45 Pressure sensor – Pressure exchange solenoid valve
51 Neutral position switch

once this is done you can reset the ecu if you want by connecting black and green conectos together turn the key to on position then press accelerator to the floor then halfway up for 2 seconds then start car then travel at a speed of over 5 MPh untill the ok code flashes "DO NOT RAGG THE CAR WHILST RESETTING ECU"

after this or befor its your choice id take the boost solenoid off and clean with carb cleaner and re-fitt but dont forget to clean the asociated pipework connected to it as well and take things from there

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cheers man im getting two codes i think 45 and 35 any ideas what they are? but any ways its picth black out ill do it a gain 2moro when its light
thanks for the help

ps fair play with the cup :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry::all blacks

Well my speedo is not working and sometimes it stops at 4000rpm not all the time.
And im getting a cel light sometimes but when i clutch in and the revs drop to idle the light goes out :dunno:
It has me head wrecked so im gonna change the speed sensor it has to be that if not :hang:

alright keith just had my car in with mech and it is the small speedo cable thats broken 5min job out and new back but i don,t have 1 and are having truoble getting 1 could be same prob as yours depends on what year ur car is i think they changed to ele speedo in 96
ps if anyone has our no's somewere i can get a small speedo cable please let me no

i had the same prob, if the speedo cable is not working the car wont go above 4000rpm, this happened after i done the clutch and the cable wasnt connected correctly. change the cable and all will be fine :D

@kiwi thats not the prob with my car as i dont think there is a speed cable, on my car its the loom that comes off the speed sensor its fooked.
Hope to get it sortedd this week :pray:

Back