Best new Android

Rob Spec C

Octane Boostaholics
Is the Samsung s3 the best thing out there at the minute? Is there anything better at the moment or is there anything new coming out this side of Christmas?

Provider wants e50 for the s3 on a 24 month contract. Not too happy about that but was thinking about it as I need a new phone now.

Carphone Warehouse should give you a trade in value on your existing phone as long as the screen isn't cracked & is charged.

In the same boat myself at the moment, out of contract since yesterday & thinking of changing. Galaxy 3 is the best of the best, slightly ahead of the HTC One X and the One X+ that will be released in the next few weeks.

Its unlikely there will be any new phones revealed before Mobile World Congress in February but even then they don't generally reach production until next June.

Meteor/Emobile both offer 12 month options but their coverage is crap. Vodafone offer 18 month deals & having used a payg sim yesterday in my phone to compare networks they are far superior in terms of coverage.

Just got the HTX desire X, its grand nice and fast. For me the Galaxy is too big for your pocket. The Desire X will do 99% of what Galaxy does, its lighter smaller, half the price and battery lasts twice as long.
I wanted to wait for 4g but from what I've heard it will be 12 months before its reliable

Samsung is ment to be the job.
24 months is a flipping long time to be tied into a contract ....

I'm using a htc explorer, small but does the job. Never let me down yet anyway.

Thanks chaps, don't mind the size too much and its lighter than my current HTC desire hd. One of the lads here has 1 but I wasn't sure how long its been on the market. Will take a look at the HTC's as well, thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

Meteor and emobile are a no-go anyway, coverage is horrendous. I'm on 3 now and they want e50 plus e40 per month for 24months or e199 phone cost for 18month contract. I'll check with Vodafone and o2 but from memory, their minutes/text plans won't even come close to matching 3.

ye know the saying ,,,,, "if you dont have an iphone , you dont have an iphone ". for ease of use and quality i dont think i could go samsung/htc

The new Nexus 4 will be out soon. Which will be the flagship Google experience android device( for a few months at least) Only negative i have heard on it so far is the battery life isnt superb, that will probably improve with an update.

+1 on nexus 4, but GL getting it from any operator in ireland. i was in Carphone warehouse today and they looked at me like i had 7 heads, when i mentioned nexus 4.

it will be sim free from google shop 279£ and it is faster and better ( sort of ) then S3. google store is not working in ireland though, so you need someone in north do get it.

No news on any other retailers selling it here. So far LG being dicks and they offered spain operatos for around 500eu...

Have a HTC one x myself and can't find any fault with it. Got it the week.it was released here in Ireland and hasn't missed a beat since. Great build quality some really nice features over previous android devices however agree with Daveleggy the built in battery may at some stage down the line be a bit of a problem but untill that day comes I won't worry about it. Great all round phone.

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=36110.msg413768#msg413768 date=1352222726]
Nexus usually lack other areas like camera etc. Well have in the past.
[/quote]

well this one so far is great and camera is great too. though i know what you mean with camera, the samsung nexus had an rubbish camera.

Have to say I find emobile very good with coverage. With them the last 2 years. Got the Sony Xperia t for free on upgrade and find it great.

i got the sony erricson experia arc s in january on vodafone my complete and i have to say its a great phone does absolutley everything i need ,email ,internet,apps,huge storage ,hd camera ,hdmi connectivity,very capable phone and there is a new one out now afaik

[quote author=shadowhearth link=topic=36110.msg413767#msg413767 date=1352222607]
+1 on nexus 4, but GL getting it from any operator in ireland. i was in Carphone warehouse today and they looked at me like i had 7 heads, when i mentioned nexus 4.

it will be sim free from google shop 279£ and it is faster and better ( sort of ) then S3. google store is not working in ireland though, so you need someone in north do get it.

No news on any other retailers selling it here. So far LG being dicks and they offered spain operatos for around 500eu...
[/quote]

Ill be getting one when they come out through work in december, Nexus phones are usually more about the processing power and showcasing the latest and greatest version of Android OS, with the Nexus 4 being the first to get 4.2 The camera on the galaxy nexus is not as good as the one on the s3,but the one on the Nexus 4 is slightly better than the S3 so they are slowly getting it right! I was never happy with the build quality feel of the samsungs, after having the Nexus S, galaxy nexus and messing with the wifes S3, HTC/iphone tend to have a better build quality feel to them. We'll see how the new LG Nexus 4 fares out.

So the S3 may not last 2 years then you reckon? Can't really see any phone lasting that long I suppose, may have to go back to the trusty 3310 for the last 6 months of the contract :roll:

i dont think any of these smart phones last 2 years these days, unless you wrap it in bubble wrap when you use it!

Thats why I like 12 month contracts, if I get bored of the phone or it goes faulty I don't have too long to wait to change it again. Price on the nexus 4 @ £279 as quoted above is a super price for an unlocked top of the range phone. Do you have any ideas on the euro pricing for it Dan & will it be available here network free?

Is there anywhere that I can check how good the aerial receivers are and compare them to other phones, regardless of network coverage?

[quote author=STi Brian link=topic=36110.msg413870#msg413870 date=1352277534]
Thats why I like 12 month contracts, if I get bored of the phone or it goes faulty I don't have too long to wait to change it again. Price on the nexus 4 @ £279 as quoted above is a super price for an unlocked top of the range phone. Do you have any ideas on the euro pricing for it Dan & will it be available here network free?
[/quote]

Im not sure when they will be available, probably for sale on the google store, starting in December. I cant see any of the shops getting it since its sim free only

Back