Steering wobble

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
Im getting a slight wobble say over 80 on the motorway, i thought it was down to the vredsteins i had fitted, i recently got new tyres and swap front wheels to back to rule out a wheel buckle as the problem. there is still a bit of a wobble, is there anything else in the front suspension that could be at fault such as a wheel bearing or worn bushings bad alignment or something else? Im just putting together my snag list of jobs i need to sort on the car over the next few weekends and this is one thats being annoying me for ages!

ye its been an underlying problem for a year or two now, problem was there with old tyres so with new tyres and balanced i doubt its the wheels not being balanced. But i have noticed only since i switched to 18" wheels, maybe last time i got it aligned they messed something up? if a wheel was buckled would that show up when they are getting balanced?

From memory you get wheels and alignmemt done 3-4 times so would think if problem is exact same all the way through that timeframe then both can be eliminated?

Have you tried a different set of wheels? Even with swapping front to rear you still may be getting vibration through the body. If you are getting a problem at X speed and over then it does point to balancing, buckle, or Flat spot.
Track rod ends, tie rod ends will have movement in them that you can find by pulling out of wheels with your hands and will not need speed to show up.

Bushes, links, wishbones will have play all the time and Speed will have no effect on the play.

So Dan you can see its easy enough to eliminate things, its something thats on rotation...

So.... Swap wheels, Tyres, Balance First... Rule out Wheels...

You said above you swapped tyres, swapped wheels front to back... But for example if you hit a pot hole/ kerb both front and rear wheels on one side could of got damaged.
I think the problem is the wheels so get them ruled out for once and for all..

After that and no solution Then look atWheel bearing, Disks and Drive Shaft as a possibility

is a buckle not something that would be noticed when trying to balance the wheels? I have my 17" wheels with winter tyres on them i cant remember if i tried them or not yet. Ill throw them on go for a drive and see what they are like. If its a problem with the wheels its been there since i got them as far as i can remember! Maybe ill find someone to try my 18's on their car too, one that is known wobble free!

If they can't (or don't bother) balance them correctly because of a buckle, would they tell you? Usually places will only balance them as best they can and fire them out the door. Does the wobble go away again past 120/140kmph?

ill check if there is a higher speed that the wobbles dissappears at, if it does go away what would that mean?

Another sign that it'd be a balancing issue. Unbalanced wheels typically make you feel the wobble between 80 and 120-ish kmph, something to do with the frequency of oscillation meaning thats where you feel the imbalance most prominently.

Could be the guy thats balancing the wheels aswell I have come across a few places that cannot balance a wheel to save their lives. If its not a balancing issue I reckon the wheels are the problem.

A recent place I got my wheels balanced had a machine out of calibration and couldn't balance them for love nor money... Ended up going elsewhere.

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=35965.msg412090#msg412090 date=1350814680]
can anyone recommend a decent place i can try get them balanced again?
[/quote]Coby autos at the red cow, boys are 100% there and there big into their high performance cars, the always do my work and all my mates and our car handles like its on rails 014591308

Got work done in Coby Auto's on an M3 years ago before I got into Subaru's, good lads there, owner had a lovely cosworth last time!

Back