Noise from rear axle

Niall F

Sunday Drivers
Lads,
I have been driving my classic to work this week and have noticed a drone noise from the rear axle developing at between 40 -50 mph. Its not unlike the that made by a shot wheel bearing but the noise seems to disappear outside this range. Any ideas ?

Thanks
Niall

Colm,
Doesn't seem to get any worse when cornering, most noticeable on the M50 when I'm holding a steady speed for a while.

I had a noise in the rear of my previous bug eye a few years back,and was sure it was a wheel bearing,so ordered one.It turns out it was the rear tyres that caused it.I still cannot explain why, as they looked ok but, when I fitted new ones ,no noise.And by the way I returned the new bearing.The same thing happened the wifes S Max. So dont rush into any major mechanical work without ruling out the rubber.I should say too that I only use top brand tyres,not cheap "verified in europe" stamped ones etc....

I had a bad bearing that made no noise changed it and the diff went bang whines like crazy when doin over 80 klms or when i lift off.new diff going in tomorrow il let you know if it fixes it :thumbsup:

[quote author=scoobyturbo link=topic=35861.msg410935#msg410935 date=1349820439]
I had a bad bearing that made no noise changed it and the diff went bang whines like crazy when doin over 80 klms or when i lift off.new diff going in tomorrow il let you know if it fixes it :thumbsup:
[/quote]

:pray:

Back