Engine Squeal when cold

Kmboost

Full ISDC Member
Engine Squeal when cold

On my 00 bug eye wrx jap, when I start up a squeal comes from the engine. I have listened to it and it seem to be running through the inlet manifold. Its not the alternator or the a/c pump I am fairly certain. The noise stays for a few minutes if left ticking over but if I give it a few revs it will disappear. Once warmed up it is perfect. Any ideas. :dontknow: :dontknow:
Another thing does any one know if a workshop manual can be got for the engine, it's the ej 20. :subaru:

Re: Engine Squeal when cold

Moisture on the belts.Drying off after few mins.
Give the belts a tighten or new belts

Are you sure its not just a belt? My old legacy alternator belt used to squeal until it was warm as it was a bit knackered. But I just changed it and it was fine.

Will check the belts tonight. Is the water pump mounted to one side or in the middle as you face the car. :thumbsup:

[quote author=Kmboost link=topic=35788.msg410266#msg410266 date=1349276031]
Will check the belts tonight. Is the water pump mounted to one side or in the middle as you face the car. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

The bottom rad hose is connected to it :thumbsup:

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=35788.msg410225#msg410225 date=1349212638]
Are you sure its not just a belt? My old legacy alternator belt used to squeal until it was warm as it was a bit knackered. But I just changed it and it was fine.
[/quote]

Mine did the same too. Half hour job to change and no more squealing :)

Back