legacy steering issue!!

Blain

Middle Lane Hogs
Hi lads ive still this problem with the legacy, when im taking a corner etc the response is very bad i mean like i have to turn the wheel a lot further than normal to take a hard corner and I can pretty much shake the steering wheel a few inches from side to side while driving and almost no response!This is really starting to get on me nerves at this stage as I dont feel very safe cornering anymore as its not holding the road like it used to!!!

Ive new tyres, arb bushes, droplinks, inner & outer tie rods, the wheels were all straightned and balanced and tracked 3 weeks ago but problem still there and slight pull to the left even tho I got the car lined twice in the last three months!anyone have any problems like this or suggestions???

Have you checked the universal knuckle joint between the column and the rack?Sometimes the bolt can be loose

is your car sill in KMs?

they have speed adjusted assisted steering

have a look under your dash on the steering shaftything there will be a silver metal box on it, unplug the connector

that will get rid of any assistance and go for a drive

be warned it will be harder than you expect

but it hasnt disconnected the power steering dont worry :p

Didnt kno there was any! Is it 22 pound for one?take it i need two to be safe! How long to fit these? Sure I mite as well do them and see!!

Hiya Blain,

Here is a pic of bush that was hanging out of bracket when i got under car. When you turned steering wheel you could see the Steering Rack Box move. My problem was the Center Return Point for the Steering wheel moved from 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock depending if i'd just been turning right or left corners (That make sense???).

That link i show'd you on Ebay is for my 2000 BH5 Leggy so if this sounds like your problem just make sure you get one for your model (2 bushes in pack)

Here's the pic;

SteeringRackBush_zpsec1f9d9a.jpg

I think ive the same problem, my steering wheel is still off like its crooked by a inch or two even tho ive replaced all tierods an links and git it alligned and balanced twice! So maby mine is iff too?so one pace will do both sides,? Will they fit my 01 legacy blitzen?? Will these bushes alone solve my problem

I'm not sure if this your problem but if you drive half car up a gutter so you can safely get under car. Get a mate to move steering wheel and see if steering rack box moves. Mine only moved 5mm, also bush squeezed out when turned, but it meant over 4" on steering wheel. There is 2 bushes to a pack. 2nd bush I think is over on passenger side. My nephew is 1st year mechanic and he changed them for me, 1/2hr job for him. As to is this for your car, you'll have to decide. I think all legacys 99-04 are BH chassis and all same steering rack bushes. Can anyone else confirm this cause this is my first Subaru and I'm only had it for a month.
Good luck mate!!!

And my wheel is off too so just mite be my problem, il go ahead an buy these anyway and get fitted an see wat happnes! Pretty sure these will fit mine!

The wheel should have been strightened by whoever was doing your alignment man so maybe bring it somewhere with a competent person

Actually the steering wheel isnt really off maby an inch but when im driving qn takin corners left and right the steering response is poor qnd I need to turn the wheel more then half wqy round when takin even a small corner,but the car wasnt always like this so something wrong with the steering rack cus everyting else is done! Gona try these bushes qnd aee if it helps

[quote author=Blain link=topic=35728.msg410155#msg410155 date=1349183607]
Actually the steering wheel isnt really off maby an inch but when im driving qn takin corners left and right the steering response is poor qnd I need to turn the wheel more then half wqy round when takin even a small corner,but the car wasnt always like this so something wrong with the steering rack cus everyting else is done! Gona try these bushes qnd aee if it helps
[/quote]

Did you check the steering joint?

No ill hav to get my mechanic to check on the lift,wat does it look like and wat do you look for?

[quote author=Blain link=topic=35728.msg410158#msg410158 date=1349184215]
No ill hav to get my mechanic to check on the lift,wat does it look like and wat do you look for?
[/quote]

:ponder2: So you havnt checked everything then.

Its a knuckle joint that connect the steering colum to the rack itself. Cant really miss , just look at where the colum comes through the bulk head you will see the joint and it has a bolt on both ends, these can come loose over time and cause the vague un responsive steering you describe.

I'm not saying thats your problem but it was in my case so rather than spend €€€'s just check that

This car seems to be breaking your heart, every other week your on here. Did you sort the squeaking brakes in the end?

yea ok I will check it, can it be seen from lookin in engine bay ir do I need to go under? Yea I bought copper grease qnd cleaner qnd wqs gona clean but it seems to have went away by itself...!

[quote author=Blain link=topic=35728.msg410161#msg410161 date=1349185320]
yea ok I will check it, can it be seen from lookin in engine bay ir do I need to go under? Yea I bought copper grease qnd cleaner qnd wqs gona clean but it seems to have went away by itself...!
[/quote]

Can be seen/worked on from underneath. Between the back of the sub frame and the bulkhead close to the driver side downpipe :thumbsup:

Good news on the brakes the sliders were 100% on that brackets I gave you.....

Yeah they were 100%. Thats sound ill try and sort out this problem soon! Nct next week !!

Back